Dual Sport Tires?

Discussion in '610/630' started by TAC630, Jun 9, 2012.

1. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990 ADV, Triumph Sprint, GS1100E
    Anyone running dual sport tires on their SMS630? If so what brand and has anyone installed a 19" front wheel? As far as the 19" front wheel I'm interested in getting to choose a better selection of dual sport tires.
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Take a look at what other supermoto's are running for a more aggressive tire than pure road. Avon Distanzia comes to mind. I have Pirelli Scorpion Trails on my Kawasaki Versys and love them. Pirelli MT60's would be another possibility.

If you're going to go to the trouble of sourcing a larger front wheel I would recommend just going 21". They work a lot better for off pavement than any other size.

It's actually easier to sumo a TE than off-road-ize an SM. Suspension is quite a bit different.
  3. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the reply CJ. I run the Pirelli Scorpions on my KTM and they do work well for me. I would like to keep the SM look but want something more aggressive for just dirt roads. The bike currently has Shinkos 705 front and rear. The previous owner installed a 120/90-17 Shinko on the front and a 150/70-17 Shinko rear they seems to work well on the street but the front pushes out a little in the corners while in the dirt.
  4. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    The 705's are a decent DS tire, popular on the versys forum for doing some light offroad. Everything is going to 'push' or wash out in corners except a 21" knobby. That's why we run 'em. :thumbsup:

I would like to see a pic of the front 120/90 mounted up. Someone was asking about that size for the versys front just this morning. I think they maybe a little too tall for a 450lb road bike, and I think the front rims are too wide (3.5").
  5. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hypermotard 1100 EVO; KLX250SF
    I have a 2009 SM610 and have seriously considered a 19" front. I ran that setup on my old DR650 eliminating the stock 21". The 19 just seems to work for my type of riding. We have an abundance of seasonal roads that just beg to be ridden fast. The 17" front albeit nice in the paved twists doesn't do well in the gravel. Too wide. Mind you the tires on the SM610 are stock and street oriented.

I ran the Distanzias on my DR650 but the life span on the rear tire was short. That's when I went the Shinko route.
    I had a Shinko 705 on the rear when I sold the DR with a 705 ready to be mounted on the front but the 19" Distanzia was still holding up.
    FYI, I ran a 130 on the rear of the DR. Stock is a 120. The 130 Distanzia was a quarter inch wider than the 130 Shinko 705. I'm curious as to the measured width of the 705 on your SM630.

Anyway, I've got time to decide as my bike (and tires) only have 800 original miles. I'm going to burn the stockers down before I make a decision.
    The MT60 caught my eye but unfortunately the sizing is limited.
  6. SilverBullet Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300EXC, V-Strom650, Super Tenere
  7. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Silver Bullet that does look good.
    CJ here are a couple pics with the Shinko 120/90-17 mounted up.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  8. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
  9. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm curious as to the measured width of the 705 on your SM630.
    What's the chances of getting that measurement. It would be appreciated.
  10. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sure the 120/90-17 on the front was 4.85" and the 150/70-17 on the rear was 5.85".
  11. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the reply and starting this thread. Waiting for a quote from my wheel guy to see what the conversion is going to set me back. Regardless, I see a 19" front wheel in my future.
  12. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Not a problem glad to help, for me I think the 19" would be ideal. If you don't mind I would be interested in what your wheel guy has to say.
  13. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Talked to my wheel guy today. He is trying to confirm the spoke/drill pattern of the wheel before he can firm up a quote. Apparently there are two different patterns used on Huskys. I'll forward the info when received.
  14. johngil Husqvarna
    A Class

Always Christmas in your garage. Ho ho ho!

[IMG]
  15. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:

Always.... :-) They are handy for lying on the floor!
  16. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the feedback I am interested in getting this done. I have a week long trip starting next week and it will be interesting to see how my existing tire setup works out.
  17. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hello Tac,

Still no word from "the wheel guy". He is either swamped or the information is not easily obtained. Regardless, I'll be talking to another supplier.
    I did run across this thread doing a google search. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=714775
    Some good information on converting to a 19" front, especially in regards to spoke angle clearance and the rotor.

Is there a chance you good take a pic of the rear tire on your bike? Not a close up but something that shows the relationship of the tire, swing arm and chain clearance.
    I need to put on a new rear tire on my SM610. The stock Dunlop D253 is showing the cords at just over 900 miles.

Looking forward to the feedback from your trip. Enjoy!

withiam
  18. TAC630 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here are two photos there is about .75" clearance with the swing arm and about .50" clearance with the chain.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
  19. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I have 19" x 2.5 rim front and 17 x 3.5" on the rear on my 610.

I run TXC80's and they are good street and dirt.
  20. withiam Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 SM610
    Other Motorcycles:
    By any chance, is it an Excel front rim?
    Is your 610 a TE or a SM?