1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Drum brakes and go pro

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jo360, Feb 9, 2017.

1. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Ditched the disc brake and rebuilt the original 40mm forks with drums, hoping that the forks will be more forgiving and the trees will move out of the way.
    I will do a go pro clip should be wet and slippy due to tropical storm way up north dumping a shite load of rain.
    Any tips on setting up the drum and video, took me about 5 weeks to work out how to put photos on this site.
    Might have to use time lapse just to make me look fast.
    First test of the original front end, have to get used to it going to do some vinduros this year.
  2. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    look forward to seeing it
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I worked out my hands with a 25lb 99cc Husqvarna chainsaw cutting and selling firewood for decades full and part time.
    I have a very strong grip pressure. I refer to it as two hands on the front brake. I never had a stopping problem but knew where to go fast and slow down. I always made sure the brake linings were clean and adjusted to where my grip was the strongest. Where the position of the brake lever matters too. Too close to the handle bars means less grip pressure. I adjust it to the size of my hands.
  4. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    You can arc the brake shoes to the hub. Spray glue some 220 grit sandpaper to the inner hub. Spin the brake with some pressure on the brake arm. This will show you where the high spots are. Sometimes (many times) the shoes only hit part of the inner hub. Depending on what percentage of the shoes' surface area are hitting determines how aggressive a sandpaper is needed.
    Obviously the more shoe contact the more stopping power. Use a vacuum to remove debris- not the best stuff to breathe.
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Drums worked well once bedded in, unfortunately i left the go pro for my son to organise, so he put it on charge cleared the sd card memory and packed th e go pro in the gear bag minus sd card .
  6. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    bup bow....:cool:

make sure the dls link

set up a utube channel and upload your go pro vids to that then just post a link to here
    jo360 likes this.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    sorry,igot side tracked during thatabove.. I meant to say...
    make sure the dls linkage is set so both the shoes are equal...ie both flat on the cams. its easy for the link to come loose and then 1 shoe is braking only