driving lights

Discussion in 'TR650' started by v12gte, Apr 6, 2013.

1. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    I could not find a big enough clamp to mount my driving lights on the fork tubes. Looking at alternate locations I first tried locating the lights right under the levers, hanging down from the bar. But the clearance at full lock was a little close and I would probably blind everyone, even the SUVs. Then i tried locating the lights under the beak. I could space them far enough apart with the brackets, but the hardware there is a joke and attaches to a plastic boss that becomes cheese after one in/out operation.

I have settled on a bolt at the radiator shroud. I bought a handle bar mounted switch with insulated wiring, but the one from ebay was bad. The children who made it in whatever exotic faraway country have not yet developed the necessary dexterity to solder the contacts properly. I got another one from Cycle Gear. Having the plastic tupperware off really helps in running the wiring. I also could not find a nice ground, so I ran the negative all the way back to the battery. The lights themselves are not fancy ($29.95 automotive variety), but they are small enough. The Ducati and MV Agusta that share the garage get the Solstice Vision X LEDs, but this baby will see the ground too often to spend that much.

The point?
    I like more than one point of light in traffic. And it could help on the trail. The lights are not PIIA Baja lights that would scare coyotes, but I should see some of the terrain with the low enough mount point.
    The con: Being deathly afraid of messing with the factory harness...I hard wired them to the battery, which means I need to remember to flip them on/off at every ride.

And yes, I have since tucked away the wiring and washed the bike.

photo (5).JPG

photo (7).JPG
    rajobigguy likes this.
  2. rajobigguy Administrator

Pretty nice set up. This is how I did mine on the 610.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    This is with 50W halogens, they have since been upgraded to 55W HIDs
    [IMG]
  3. v12gte Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, MV Agusta
    veru nice and clean ! and it is not going anywhere.
    :)
  4. Beemermcr Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Terra - "Burro"
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 BMW 1200 GSA, 2000 DRZ400e
    Did you make the brackets?

Nice look!
  5. rajobigguy Administrator

Yes they are basically just angle iron with a few holes drilled and little detail work to make them look like something other than angle iron with a few holes.
    Beemermcr likes this.
  6. nev.. Terrarist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 XT1200ZE
    I have no real plans for driving lights on my Terra, but I would definitely go for some handlebar mounted lights, like Big Dog has done. The higher the better. I have a DL1000 with twin 4" HID lights mounted above the standard headlight. Ugly as sin, but generate so much light the reflection I get off reflective highway signs hurts my eyes!
  7. blakebird Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE501S
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 Super Tenere
    I like Trailtech's LED and HID bar mount setups.

[IMG]
  8. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I love riding in the bush/fire roads at night. (Not much traffic where I ride)
    That is the only real trouble with LED off road lights the glare off the signs. Kinda gives you an idea of what on coming traffic sees when your coming at them.
    I have two of ADVMonster M60's coming. (should be here next week). Since they will only come on while my high beams are on and also switched. They will never be used on a public road.
    I'm using the Zeta hand guards with the signal flasher in the guard which frees up where the OEM signals were. I'll try mounting them there first up high. I think that might be better but I will also try mounting them on the Crash bars. To see what different results I get.
    I also have two MagicShine MJ808 that clip onto my helmet using GoPro clips. These are awesome helmet lights.

:cheers:
    FabOneUp likes this.
  9. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    These are fantastic! I just recently saw a YouTube video where a guy was reviewing helmet cams and he had some lights like these mounted just under his visor. I was going to research and try and find some....you saved me some time HuskyDude. Do you have a pic with those on your helmet?
  10. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Yes. I'll post up tonite after work. If you don't mind the 3 week wait while they get here from over seas I got mine from DX.com
    Careful it's a little like a candy store.:busted:
    FabOneUp likes this.
  11. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    What brand are those little square lights rajobigguy........They look nice....where did you get them
  12. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Got home tonight and found two parcels. One was the LED lights from AVDMonster and the other was this Husqvarna Memorabilia.

These are the M60's

[IMG]

Here's the M60's (3600 Lumens each) next to the MagicShines (1000 Lumens each)

[IMG]

[IMG]

Adapted GoPro clip (yes that is Goop holding it together...:D) What can I say... it is a very strong adhesive.

[IMG]

Mounted on my dirt bike helmet haven't mounting them to my D/S helmet yet.

[IMG]

Ok more later.:cheers:
    FabOneUp likes this.
  13. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    Nice! Can't wait to see em all fired up HD!
  14. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Mounted the M60's today. From the battery I put a fuse link then ran a piece of extension cord for the added insulation around the wires to the head light. I purchase a 12v auto relay to run the lights off the high beam switch on the bars and also an inline water proof switch from that. The bike can be ran normally high/low or high,plus M60/low for off roading. They mounted nicely in the turn signal holes off the head light and clear the tank on full lock turn. I'll snap some picture of night riding a bit later.

[IMG][IMG]
    PaulC, rajobigguy, Thumpa and 3 others like this.
  15. kjackbrown Keep on keepin on.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    KLR650
  16. Thumpa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR 650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    CCM Dakar, G650X
    any chance we could get a closer shot of the lights and also the handguards. Lights look awesome!! Kinda' diggin the guards too, how efficient are the turn signal beacon?
  17. rajobigguy Administrator

Sorry I missed this question. They are Hella driving lights and are available from JC whitney. I did a HID conversion on them because I'm not using them for a "focused" driving lights, more just to spray light all over the trail.
  18. rajobigguy Administrator

Nice clean set up. Looks like they belonged there from the begining.:thumbsup: