Dodgey reserve???

Discussion in '610/630' started by CrankN, Jul 26, 2010.

1. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Can someone tell me why i keep running out of fuel (completely) without having reserve turned on???? Bike is '06 TE610.

Has only happen the last couple of time.... riding along and get the pop pop pop and stop. Then turn the reserve to on only to find out the tank is empty :banghead:

What a pain in the arse. Lucky i am always close to a fuel station whenn it happens.
  2. K7MDL Husqvarna
    A Class

That other position is not a reserve, it is off in both positions with ON in the middle only. Only the low fuel light will tell you are are low in fuel and your trip meter.
  3. schrode Husqvarna
    AA Class

it sounds like k7mdl knows what he's talking about and i personally have no experience with this model.

however, with other bikes i've had similar issues and it basically amounted to the dip-tube on the petcock had fallen off so that the pickup level was the same regardless of which valve was turned on.
  4. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Sorry you've got me confused.....
    Maybe i'm not explaining properly. I never touch the main fuel petcock.

When the fuel level gets too low ie. needing reserve, i unscrew the reserve tap to allow it to flow to the carby.This is no longer working as there is no fuel left in the tank.
    It is like the reserve screw is always left on although this isn't the case.

Not sure what you mean by 'the other position'?
  5. Owen J Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you're talking about the 'other' petcock (on the LHS as you sit on the bike) it isn't a reserve tap! It is supposed to be left open at all times to allow fuel from that side of the tank to get to the carb. It's the first time I'd seen a bike with two petcocks but if you look at the design of the frame and then the shape of the tank you'll see why it has two.......

As standard the 610 has no 'reserve' - only a warning light! If like mine your original fuel tap leaks petrol (gas in your language - haha) from the wires protruding from it I'd recommend fitting an Acerbis petcock which apparently fits and does have a proper reserve. I fitted a KTM one which also fits but can't remember the part number off the top of my head (I'll be able to dig it out if you really need it....)
  6. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    Oh, it isn't a reserve tap??
    Funny cause i've always used it as one..... it holds about a litre of 'petrol', (i'm from Australia mate ;)) I can get an extra 10km or so on that fuel and thats enough to get me to the petrol station......
  7. K7MDL Husqvarna
    A Class

The 2 petcocks are at slightly different heights and depending on your last lean to the right or left that 1 liter might be more or less as it splashes over the hump.

I have a 5 gallon IMS tank and have 3 shut off valves and the stock petcock. The 2 front lobes hold about a gallon each and Tee into the cross connect from the left side valve. I do leave these closed
    1. In case a front hose gets pulled off on the trail, I will still have 2 gallons if I drain the upper tank (never happened yet but came close once).
    2. I have a measured reserve that does not depend on my observing the light and remembering when it came on.

- Mike
  8. CrankN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610
    So anyway, I keep it shut until the main runs out and then i open it up....just like a reserve only now when the 'main tank' is empty, there isn't anything left in my so called reserve tank.
    This has happened a few times lately and i've never had it happen before. I've owned the bike for 2 years now and as a daily rider i've been though the odd tank or 2.

Anyway, i thought there might be something i'm missing but i guess unless the LHS petcock has been drilled out and allowing the fuel to get from one side to the other, it's got me stuffed.....
  9. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    That's strange, I've always assumed it was a reserve too.

I've just replaced the cam chain on my bike, so I had to pull the tank.

So I can't figure out how to get the link hose back on! It seems too short and there is no direct route.