1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

differences between 2007 thru 2010 sm510r

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by patra_is_here, Jun 13, 2010.

1. patra_is_here Husqvarna
    C Class

hi everyone, i hope i'm in the right forum. I'm looking to purchase a sm510r here in california, and i'm trying to make the most informed decision I can. reviews and the husky website claim different changes from year to year, but no specifics are given. and, some of the specs I found show the bike actually getting heavier.

can anyone here enlighten me? was 07 the start of the new chassis design? did I carry thru to 09 and 10 or did it stop in 08 (as some sources show). any suspension changes that are known?

just hoping for some help.

thanks in advance
    -clay
  2. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

You can find some of this info if you do a search on this site and supermotojunkie, but I'll admit that it would take a long time and you would still be a little confused. I've looked at most every post and spec sheet and I'm for sure not aware of every change. Husqvarna literature can't be trusted anyway. Here's a rough start.

'07--same as '06, last year of the carbed bikes. AC electrical system.
    '08--first year with FI. Different frame, DC electrical system from now on. Relatively big changes, in other words. Needs "power up kit" to run well and had some FI teething problems.
    '09--dual exhaust, comes with "power up" parts in crate. Different front fender, headlight, brake rotors, ECU, instrument panel, countershaft sprocket +1 tooth, some engine changes. Some consider the dual exhaust a plus, some a liability.
    '10--KYB forks? New plastic with molded-in logos. Some engine changes and shift mechanism.

Actual weight probably went up with the dual exhaust but Husky weight specs are not correct plus they changed from "dry weight" to "wet weight" in '08 I believe.

Other than the obvious, there aren't any bad years that I'm aware of. If you want a carb, the '07s were good bikes. Other people may correct me on some of this and there is a lot of small stuff I left out.

Regarding the frame, '08 -'10 is very similar. Suspensions are similar too except '10 vendor change.
  3. patra_is_here Husqvarna
    C Class

thanks. that's a good start.
  4. KCI-John Husqvarna
    B Class

Patra,
    Here is what Husky claims they changed on the 2010 model;

1)The frame is of a completely new design with new levels of rigidity and settings for dealing with power that optimise handling

2) Frame is 2lbs lighter

3) All the new body panels have IPD (in–mould plastic decoration) graphics and are made of stronger, more flexible plastic.

4) The front and rear lights are more powerful.

5) Front mudguard is new.

6) Wheels are black anodised Excel rims

7) Newly designed side stand is made of aluminium.

8) 2010 twin-cam engines now feature new radiator hoses and more powerful water pumps so as to improve cooling and performance.

9) New over-pressure valve in the oil circuit

10) New needle cage lubrication bearing.

11) Exhaust valves are made of steel to ensure longer life and reliability.

12) The gearbox has been renewed to offer improved gear change speed and accuracy. Gearbox design has seen changes in terms of: gear change linkage, lever and selector mechanisms.

13) New timing gear chain tensioner that was introduced to improve chain tension and reduce contact pressure.

14) New oil filter.
  5. patra_is_here Husqvarna
    C Class

yeah, but i swear it said those same changes for the 2009 model as well.
  6. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

The changes they list for the 2010 are a mix of the changes that were made for 2008, 2009, and 2010. Like I said, you can't trust Husqvarna literature.
  7. patra_is_here Husqvarna
    C Class

yeah that's what i was worried about. i guess for the most part I want an 08 or newer, since it's FI and is in the same generation (chassis wise) as the newest bike.
  8. jaro51 Husqvarna
    A Class

"Bold new Graphics" for 2010. Same darn bike as the 2009 as far as I can tell.