1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc Difference between 08 CR125 and 09 WR125???

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by HSrider, May 18, 2009.

1. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm new here and never owned a 125 but reading the threads you guys have my interest up on them. I'm not really up on the differences between the two models I listed. Well besides the CR is the MX version and the WR is the woods version. Do they both come with the same tank size, is the gearing different, I'm guessing the rear wheel is different and are the frames different?

Also do you have to ride them on the pipe all the time? I'm 200lbs in street clothes would the 125 be fun or a whole lot of work for my big butt? :D

The reason I ask is I found a good deal on a leftover 08 CR and I know there are still some 09 WRs around but with the current issue I was thinking about waiting until the power up kit was available or just get a 10 model if I went the 125 route.

Thanks
  2. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    The 09's got the new frame and twin chamber 50mm forks.

I think the tank is smaller on the 09's.

That is all I can think of off the top of my head.

Later,
  3. BlueHusky144 Husqvarna
    AA Class

My suggestion is to get the 08.

I just bought (or stole) my second 08 CR 125 of the year. I have so many spare parts, big tank, etc. There is no need (for me) to buy a 09 and have to deal with all the issues. I will wait until everything gets sorted out. You will see me on a 2010.
  4. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Buy the 2008 CR 125 leave it stock except gear it down to 13 /52 take all the extra money you saved and get a few things if you want like FMF spark arrestor,shark fin
    BRP chain guide and a IMS big tank .Maybe a Scotts steering stablizer and you will still be less then the new 2009 WR 125. As for weight my son is 6 foot 3 and 220 in street trim and has no problem on his CR 125 .You can lug it around all day no problem or
    twist the right hand if you want to go faster
  5. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

If I needed a new 125 it would be hard to pass up the 08 on ebay now for ~3300 even though I really like the 09.

The 09 has a better frame, forks, and carburetor. But there are some issues with this bike. Husqvarana is fixing them all but it looks like the parts are not in the states yet and I don’t know when they are coming. The stock tank is tiny and there are no others available yet. You would probably have to have a welder make a spark arrestor off another bike work for now. There are so few of these bikes around that I don’t know if there will be aftermarket pipes and spark arrestors at any time.

Bottom line is I think the 09 would be a better bike but it is going to take more money, patience, and fiddling to get it set up. If these are not big obsticles go for the 09 but otherwise take advantage of the excellent deal on a 08.

I might get a 09 myself but I want to see how some of the issues get resolved first. At this point I think I will just wait for 2010 or put some 50’s on the front of my 06 and call it good.
  6. HSrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Looks like my local dealer might be getting his hands on some leftover new 08 CR125s at an awesome price, so might have to seriously think about trying one.

Hope to ride with him this weekend and try out his WR125 :thumbsup:
  7. krieg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many in the past
    Other Motorcycles:
    '12 Triumph Scrambler
    Who's your local dealer? I'm thinking about an 08 CR too.
  8. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Jeeze, how many of these '08s do they HAVE??
  9. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna, I mean. Not your local dealer.

It almost seems like they're still building them, fer cryin' out loud...
  10. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    CR 125 is 10#'s lighter and has 21" front and 19" rear
    WR 125 has 21" and 18" rear.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    If you don't install all the crap in the box (light, ODO, wiring, etc.) there is not much difference in weight. Basically the kick stand (aluminum on the 09) and heavier 18" rear wheel.
  12. NWRider Husqvarna
    AA Class

And the lights don't weigh much. My stock headlight plus regulator is only 3/4 pound heavier then the stock number plate. I imagine the odometer, mount, and cable is not over 100 grams. There is probably a hundred grams or so of extra wire on the WR. The flywheel is HEAVY. I forgot what it weighs but it probably adds half a pound or so. 18" wheel is a little more and 0-ring chain a little. The WR has extra frame rails to protect the sides of the motor. There is a plastic thing to keep the dirt off the chain which most people remove. the spark arrestor is heavy but a CR will probably need one anyway for public land.

All added up it really isn't much difference.
  13. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Question for those that might know.

I've ridden TCs & TEs. As far as gearbox spacings, is this about the way it works?
    TC => CR
    TE => WR

?
  14. ScottyR Husqvarna
    AA Class

CR125 and WR125 share the same tranny
  15. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Yup, WR125 switched to CR tranny in '02. CR tranny makes it easier to keep tiddler on the boil and with sixth gear it will still move along in top.
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    I did not know this (obviously). I thought it meant wide and close ratio bikes :doh:

So the stay with the WR/CR for historical reasons?
  17. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Heck I thought it meant woods racing and course racing (as in closed course). Anybody know what it really means?