did i buy the wrong bike? te511 versus terra

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by YOGAVNTURE, May 10, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    yes ditch it, evap canister. Remove and plug holes.
  2. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    06te610, 13te511, 13ktm 690 enduror
    IM GETTING CLOSER AND CLOSER TO keeping that te610 i have one with really very little use.......but its going to cost an arm and leg to get it up to snuff? I think maybe dan at Vacaville could get that thing purring like a real cat.......in no time? that's my gut feeling. whats your guess 2000 bucks and its like a real gem?
  3. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    I'm like'n this thread and just want to add how nice the TR is. Very smooth like Kelly has stated.
    But don't forget that there are new bikes just around the corner for 2014...:D
    Who knows what will be in store for us...
    Sorry had to throw that in there.
    :cheers:
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You know you are going to have to post new pictures of your bike when you get it back from me. Those gay fork reflectors have gotta go..

[IMG]

YOGAVNTURE likes this.
  5. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I've noticed in your TE511 pic, your forks protrude 10-12mm above the top triple clamp.

So, my understanding of fork placement in triple clamps is:
    - higher fork (more protrusion from top triple clamp) = shorter overall wheelbase & shorter trail dimension which results in "quicker" steering. It allows the bike to tip into a corner easily but is less stable at high speed.
    - lower fork (less or no protrusion from top triple clamp) = longer overall wheelbase & longer trail dimension which results in "slower" steering. The bike will be more stable at high speed but harder to tip into a corner.

(is my train of thought correct here???)

My question:
    1. Does a steering damper give you the "best of both worlds"?
    - forks high in triple clamp = good cornering (for dirt single track etc.)
    &
    - steering damper = good high speed stability (for interstate runs etc.)

YOGAVNTURE - maybe post a pic of your fork/triple clamp set up so advice can be offered about this.
    YOGAVNTURE likes this.
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I run my forks flush with the top of my triple clamps. This gives me the best high speed stability. I have zero issues cornering on the gas or slowly on the trails. I do run a stabilizer and have it adjusted from lock to lock.
  7. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    YOGAVNTURE is what 6'3? on stock suspension? His bike geometry is probably whacked, it's no wonder his bike is squirly. I'm 6'6 and the first day I took out my bike without suspension set to me, I almost died, granted I was on the race track and not the open road, but yes. That and it is common for the TE's to come with loose headsets. I recommended he truck his bike over to Hall's for setup help.
    YOGAVNTURE likes this.
  8. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    GOD, first i have to not do caps. and I cant post correctly now i have to post pics. I do have a camera that i have figured out how to post pics to face book, but I don't know how to post pics here. I will try......my bike is a new te511 2013.......but im going thru Illinois next week , im going to set on the terra........I might be selling a brand new with 30 miles on it. te511 with a fmf slip on in the near future......I might have screwed up and bought the wrong bike...don't get me wrong that bike is killer in dirt....but im a 50 / 50 dirt/pavement rider.......im totally confused right now.....im not apposed to keeping the te511.....and I am going to have a camper toy hauler to travel the states with very soon......and my goal is to carry ONE and only ONE bike in the camper as I travel around .....and have a bike to do fire roads. and pavement.......I thought that was going to be my 511.....but after my first ride yesterday on interstate. I can see that aint the bike......UNLESS I POUR THOUSANDS INTO IT for alterations........whereas all I would have to do to my te610 is drop it off to dan at motoexotica and have him trick it for a couple of grand? ..........then I don't need any more bikes?????? I could just sell my new te511 for a loss......(im sure I could get most of it back, especially after the bikes arent available in a month or two)......and consider it a lesson learned.......I WANT TO SIT ON THAT TERRA, AND POSSIBLY RIDE ONE......that would say so much....... just that you know I think ktm will force ktm dealers to carry husky from now on.......its ridiculous that in des moines iowa. and I don't have a dealer even in Omaha, or Kansas city.........I have to go to minneapolis or chicago........husky usa has a crappy dealer network......I predict this is going to change very fast now with ktm. this change will save huskys future!
  9. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tinken im getting torn here.....I am for sure going thru Illinois to get that toy hauler and I want to take my new te511 (if nothing else to get it customized in camper.....halls is on the way.........bottom line is im tempted to keep the 2006 te 610 take it to dan at motoexotica. when im there......give him some cash and I come back to him and my te 610 is either the supermoto from heaven..........or.........the dual sport ultimate.........and I just keep that bike cause its in such good shape.......regarding my new te511 2013......im stuck with it.......maybe im being hard on myself. that's what you are implying here......I cant overemphasis how crappy that thing rode on the interstate.....and im a 50/50 dirt/pavement rider........I don't want to pour thousands into that thing to get it road worthy......this is where husky usa drops the ball......not helping people like me......I wish somebody would have told me that the new te511 is worthless on the road.......im trying to listen to you.....you are implying that with a bit of help (under 2 thousand dollars?) I can make my new te511 a GREAT 50/50 bike???????????????and I could just sell my 2006 te610 ? all I know is what I feel under my legs...........and that is the new te511 is torture on the road.......and my old te610 2006 .......feels decent on both .........I want one bike to carry in that toy hauler round the country that will do fire roads and interstate in a good fashion.......I know I can alter that 2006 te610 to do that......not sure about the new te511.........you seem to say its doable.....but others here disagree with you......i have no clue other than my gut........and the other wild hair is that halls in Illinois has a bunch of the terras still at a price of 6k .............maybe that's the perfect bike to throw In my camper and travel the states. believe me , im not taking any dirt bike alone into Nevada desert for rides........if I get stuck, I would die out their.......so a 50/50 bike better for me.......I got sucked into the looks of that te511.......but I should be putting function over fashion.....it all comes down to is that terra a midget bike size wise
  10. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    your post is interesting and im in investigation mode. I dont want to be one of the sorry souls (im joking to a degree here) who has a garage full of motorbikes........I want one perfect bike that does it all.....you sound a bit like me (unrealistic in wanting the perfect bike that dont exist?).....what you are implying is similar to what tinken is suggesting to me.......that even though it doesn't feel like it at this moment...........for under one thousand dollars I can get my new te511 2013 to perform on road /off road mix better than I can get my 2006 te610 to do (spending money on that as well to make it 50/50....this has turned into the search for the perfect 50/50 bike.....ARE U LISTENING KTM/HUSKY USA?.......my perfect bike is one that will do interstate rides at 70 mph with not over revving. if I put decent mix tire on it It will do good on pavement or dirt.......etc...........the question is .......what is that bike ......for a tall person................terra? or a souped up te511 or te610........
  11. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    What did you not like about the 610 that made you buy the 511? I think the 610 with a proper suspension setup and the right tires is the closest thing you can get to a 50/50 bike right now.
    WoodsChick and Motosportz like this.
  12. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    GOOD QUESTION. my ignorance. and uneducated decision making process........and the blow out sale they are having..........I could still probably sell the te511 or maybe even beg the dealer to give me a fair straight up trade on a terra???????? then I could use the souped up te610 as my do it all bike as I travel the states......I HAVE TO HAVE SOMETHING THAT FUNCTIONS ON THE ROAD...........I didn't like the fact the te610 was a bit heavy.......300 lbs. now the new te511 has shaved 50 lbs. off ........its at 249............but wondering if the weight I bitch about actually is a good thing??????? it don't shimmy on the front end. and it can handle wind fairly good......im already afraid to go on the interstate with the new te511.....its so light it will get blown off the road in big wind.....im starting to conclude that husky usa should make the tc for true motocrossers.....and the te should be made for part time motocrossers......but they didn't to that ..........to save cash they took the tc. (put a new pipe on it to make the feds happy).......stuck lights on it.......and threw it out.......those tires on the te are full on motocross....cant believe they are dot approved.........ALSO. I just thought. hey the 2006 is getting up in age (although mine runs fine and is in great shape).........time to get a new one.......I thought the te now would be like the te then,,,,,,,,a good road/dirt mix bike........i was wrong........WHY ARE THEY SELLING A FULL ON MOTOCROSS BIKE AS A STREET LEGAL BIKE? IF YOU WANT TO RIDE MOTOCROSS STICK THE TC ON YOUR TRAILER AND GO TO DIRT SITE........2014.....JUST WATCH..MAYBE SOMEBODY AT CORPORATE IS LISTENING TO ME?
  13. HuskyTaylor Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09 TE310 12 WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    01 FLHR 77 Triumph
    The Te is not a motocross bike with lights, it is a enduro bike. Some enduro races you need a plated bike and the te's fit the bill. I don't think you will find a bike that is good on the interstate and the dirt. Good luck with your quest.
  14. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    You have been saying the same things and asking many of the same questions for how long now? Yelling about "MOTOCROSS TE ETC ETC ETC." - easy now...
    "JUST WATCH..MAYBE SOMEBODY AT CORPORATE IS LISTENING TO ME?" Why would they? You are coming off as a bit of a nut. The "CORPORATE" can't be blamed if a customer bought the wrong bike because they have very little riding experience and didn't do the research to find out what is the best bike for their needs because they didn't know what the needs were. come on man...
    If they were they might be rolling on the floor:lol: Did I just say that? :)
    You have stated you are going to ride a TR to see how you like it. A good idea IMO so do that already.
    Buying the right bike is part of the thrill of the chase. It has been mentioned to you numerous times there will never be the perfect bike. It sounds like you need at least two. I have 10 running MCs (4 Huskys) and still lust for a TR
    If you use the search function on this great site, you will be able to expand your knowledge base, answer many of your own questions and maybe not yell so much too.:)
    Good luck!
    YOGAVNTURE likes this.
  15. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Something like Kelly's setup makes the 511 a good offroad to backroads bike. The jump to interstate friendy is really too much to ask for anything offroad capable.

The 610/630 really was the bike closest to bridging that gap.
    WoodsChick likes this.
  16. Huskinator Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,TE510,TE450,TXC450,WR165,TE511
    It sounds like you really did buy the wrong bike. Since you now own a kick ass dirt bike you might want to ride it a few times off road just for fun before you sell it.:thinking:
    WoodsChick and YOGAVNTURE like this.
  17. 310huskyTE Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE 350, 2011 Meo.
    Other Motorcycles:
    67 CR250, 71 400 Cross, 78 CR250
    Nobody at corporate is listening to you, they have a bit more on their plate at the moment than listening to some guy complaining because he bought the wrong bike.
    As its been pointed out numerous times you do not have a motocross bike, you have an enduro bike with a plate.
    The TE511 is never going to be happy with long stints on the interstate, it is designed for the dirt not the road. It will be fine running around town picking up your bananas and maybe ten minutes on the interstate but any more than that forget it.
    You already have one of the best road/trail bikes around that will be happy on the interstate all day and will be more than capable offroad, maybe you should spend some time setting it up properly and using the 610 as it was intended.
    As you skills improve and you want to do harder stuff offroad then the 511 will be perfect for that
    WoodsChick, Motosportz and YOGAVNTURE like this.
  18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    HuskyDude likes this.
  19. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    first of all everyone is a nut. only some expose it. second, can u really hear me yelling? I think not......I did want to state ive been a bit harsh on the new te511....I took both my te610 out and my te511 out for a quick lap.......its obvious the new bike is much quicker off the line....although I think the older te has a wider gear pattern..........im here cause im a bit confused. (stating this up front) capitalize on that as you desire........I will try to test the terra if possible at halls. (most shops dont have demo bike though). I understand their is no perfect bike.......and tinken and a few others have implied the new te can be altered a bit to perform every bit as well as my older te.610......yet others have not agreed stating that I can alter the new te511 all I want, and it wont be a better 50/50 bike than the older te610/630...........one thing I do know , THEY CAME OUT WITH THE NEW STREET LEGAL DUAL SPORT IN 2006......FIRST YEAR AND I NOTICE THIS PHENOMEMON . WITH MANY PRODUCTS ,,,,,,,THE FIRST VERSION IS BEST ......THEN THEY SCREW IT UP BY FIDDLING WITH IT. I did know what my needs were......a 50/50 bike.....I had one a te610....I just felt after 7 years best to get the new technology........again I state, I did know what I wanted.......MY PROBLEM IS I DONT HAVE A DEALER IN MY AREA....which is common if not in calif. and dealers mainly want to sell bikes not really cater to my needs , especially as a mail order person who they know they wont see again......I assumed wrongly, I guessed that the new te511 was just an updated version of the older te610 (its obvious now the older one was a dual sport and the newer one a motocross bike with plates.....)..so when u say c'mon man, I take a different approach........isn't it the dealers job and if not the dealers, then corporate , to help people who are wandering with cash to the right bike.? husky usa knows very well theyre dealer network is poor due to years of neglect. hopefully ktm will change this for good.......im not bitching about anything....I chose to buy the te511 and I will now choose my next step....this forum has been very helpful to me so far.......and im sorry if come across to you as a nut. im just a consumer who wants to be happy , and maybe corporate would listen to that.......sending the love, from the nut. (and by the way I got 3 smiley faces from you)
    HuskyDude and Xcuvator like this.
  20. YOGAVNTURE Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I have been able to get shops to do the basic work.....now that im buying a toy hauler and traveling west with the bike I will have dealer accessibility.......both the Honda and Suzuki you mention are JAP bikes and look outdated technology.......the Yamaha looks like the most updated technology I could see (but only 5 speed?) its possible I should have just bought a ktm as I have a dealer here.......but last time i checked with him he wanted like almost 10k for a similar bike to the te511.......
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.