1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Dent Repair for Aluminum Fuel Tanks

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jimspac, Dec 29, 2011.

1. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    A creased dent is somwhat deep and has a sharp intersection with the natural contour of the tank. Non-creased dents are shallow and have a much wider radius of transition to the natural contour.
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    A non creased dent is a a smooth one The photo of your dent looks like it is non creased except for the very top. The pedestal buffer http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ff4u5L6n--8 The heat made by polishing cause alloy to expand and remove dent, you hope!! Good luck
  3. Larsa Husqvarna
    A Class

Thank you all for all the usable information. Great information on the pedestal buffer, I had no idea that was the name of it in english! Always great to learn new things.

I decided to go old school and do what I do best. Work with what I have and know how to. I have some metal skills from building an aluminum airplane (Or I should not say building, I have not been building for a very long time now, I guess that project will never be finished..thousands of rivets and most of them to go..:)

Well anyway..lets keep to subject...So here is what I did. I took out my flat hammer and a good old long smooth tire Iron(!) and the heat gun. Worked the tank in the below 'fixture' from the inside with the tire iron and from the outside with the hammer and heat gun. Took 90% of the dent out yesterday and only a small spot left to work on today ! Then grind and polish :)

IMG_1908_small.jpg

Attached Files:

4. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    That looks good, I have a couple of dented tanks if you want some more practise:D
  5. LEADVILLEHUSKY Husqvarna
    A Class

ok... pdr is the cheapiest way, i have used 3m panel bond with flexpert nails. after panel bond cures and you have pulled the dent just heat the bonded area to release the nail.then sand excess off.they do have a dent fix machine that will do aluminum. 5,000 dollars. most high end collision shops will have one.good luck!
  6. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Lars....I will try.. a NON creased dent is a dent that has more of a "crater/ depression" type of appearance..Imagine having a round rock or a ball...strike a metal object..the metal will have an "round" indentation with "smoothe-somewhat beveled edges". Now A "Creased dent" imagine striking your gas tank with a metal pipe...the edges on the dent will have sharper..or "CREASED - Sharper" edges in the metal.. Hope that helps... As for heat source a heat gun may be used..
    Honestly I have tried heat and cold on non creased dents. I have only found that the paintless dent repair is best...& actually works!
  7. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Larsa,

The '83 tank is different from the '81 and '82 tanks....I can't tell by looking at the picture you have posted because the real difference is where the fuel tap location is. Post a picture of the right side and I can tell you.

Jeg skal prove a forklare til deg om "non-creased dent". Paa Norske ikke Svenske.

se paa bilde har. Unskylde meg, men jeg har problem med bildene her paa jobbe. Jeg skal prove igjen i kveld
  8. Larsa Husqvarna
    A Class

Thanks Guys for all the great information.

My dent is now a thing of the past :)

Lars
  9. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I just got in a tube of 3M Panel Bond so I am going to try to bond studs from my stud welder package so I can use the dent puller to pull the dents up. wish me luck guys
  10. Larsa Husqvarna
    A Class

My finished results for the tank. Slightly smaller unpainted area then original. Looks OK and good enough for me :)

Attached Files: