Decelleration Clatter? Fixed Mine.

Discussion in '610/630' started by CJBROWN, Sep 6, 2011.

1. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I've had this annoying chattering and clattering noise on decel that would go away if I pulled the clutch. Since I did a 14T counter almost right away I thought maybe it had something to do with that. I was beginning to suspect the clutch or gears. It has been getting a little less loud recently and Saturday I decided to take a closer look at the chain and see if I could figure it out.

I had already removed the chain guard, slight rubbing there but nothing major and did not fix the problem. I would also get it sometimes on low rpm accellaration where you get some chain slap/chatter with these loose chains.

Turned out to be the lower chain guide. With the 42T rear sprocket the chain comes up against it on decelleration, causing the noise. It was starting to wear new grooves in it so eventually it probably would have cured itself.

I removed the assembly and shaved off about an eighth inch of material off the top of the plastic block, and then grooved it out so as to keep the centering guide/ridge.

Voila...no more decel noise, nice and quiet. It was really starting to bug the hell out of me. :thumbsup:
    WhiteAndRed likes this.
  2. jerbear610 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14' WR300, 11' TE511, 06'TE610 sold
    Other Motorcycles:
    11' Husaberg FE570, 15' Beta 300RR
    That's good info, I'll have to check it on mine. The irritating noise that I have to deal with on mine comes from the heat shield on
    the exhaust. Had a new mounting bracket welded on because I mangled the original shield and bracket and have a little rattle or buzz
    thing going on.
  3. boxofish Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Are you talking about the forward roller near the counter sprocket or the chain guide that hangs off the swingarm nearer to the rear sprocket? And if it's this one, did you shave the lower roller or the top guide?

I'm very interested as I've been getting a funny sound in the last few hundred km that sounds similar to the rattling and clunking of a diesel engine. Usually on acceleration from low rpm's and deceleration. I've suspected it could be the chain on the forward chainguide or perhaps the valves needing adjustment. Bike goes in on Friday for it's first service, little past due at about 1700km's.
  4. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Likely your chain has loosened up enough that it's slapping the lower chain guide on the swingarm, the plastic block that sits in front of the rear sprocket. Take a look at it, you'll probably see that the chain has been hitting it and wearing away some of the plastic.

Since decelleration tightens the chain along the bottom, mine was hitting the top of that block. On accelleration it's tight on top, slack on the bottom, so it wasn't hitting it except on low speed accell where you get chain chatter from the pulsing of the motor. I'll bet that's what you're hearing. Either that or you're really lugging it and getting some piston slap - hope that's not the case as that can cause accellerated piston wear, even premature failure. The motor really likes 3500+ for any hard accelleration on road where there's no tire slip.

EDIT: I'm talking about item 33 here:

[IMG]
  5. TE 450 Pilot Husqvarna
    AA Class

Toss that puppy in the garbage and pick up a BRP guide. Bolts right on and wont bend at the first sign of a rock.

[IMG]
  6. Travis Shrey Husqvarna
    A Class

I'm definitely picking one of them up. A short ride through the woods and I managed to snag a 3/4" branch off the ground and into the chain. Pulled it out and then started hearing noise. The freakin' stick bent the chain guide...
  7. ct-sm Husqvarna
    C Class

Does this fit on all late-model 4-strokes? I have a 2011 SMS630 and I don't see it listed under applications.
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    610 model fits, I believe
  9. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
  10. Sizzler Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600, SZR660, TLM260. DRZ250
    It fits my TE630 very tidily.
    tard2.jpg

I always thought that the standard chain guide was something they did after they had finalized the budget.