Death Valley Ride November 13th-16th Panamint Springs

Discussion in 'West - USA' started by Huskyfly, Oct 30, 2011.

1. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Looking for my next Husky......
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Africa Twin, 2013 TE310
    Hi Folks, I'll be heading to DV with a couple friends on the 13th-16th and wanted to extend the invite to anyone on the forum that would like to join. We are a bunch of older farts, most riding the big bikes etc, I'll be taking the 630 on it's maiden DV adventure.

The plan is to leave the Bay Area early on the 13th and get into camp with a little light to get a quick ride in and do some bigger loops the next two days, maybe even remote camp one night.

Come by even if it's just to say hi!

Cheers

P.S. Post up your favorite loops so I can bring it up to the group.
    Coffee likes this.
  2. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    We are arriving there Thurs the 10th, leaving Sunday the 13th. Maybe see you when you get there. About 30 of the ADVrider.com inmates will be there.
    ADV thread on it here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732918

My buddy and I are primarily going to see what the road is like going over South Pass into Saline Valley to see if he can get his truck in there. If so then a future DS ride will be a group ride in with bikes and he'll haul camping gear, chairs, ez-up, coolers, etc. and stage out of the hot springs area. Probably do that in Feb/Mar when the snow is off. He drove in a few years ago but I guess the road has deteriorated considerably, in fact it's posted as closed by the county so idiots in cars don't drive in there and get stuck. Apparently the tow trucks won't drive in there.

North Pass has been graded about 18 miles down, but from there it's pretty dicey, high clearance 4x4 recommended. My buddy's dually is 4x2 with a locker. Plenty of clearance, but the ruts and washes can be pretty tough.

Good info on loops and conditions here:
    http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=728706

And a really nice thread from 'Larryboy' on his 21 day solo adventure in DV. Good pics and story:
    http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644457

There are some definitely 'don't miss it' routes through the park. And it's huge. Make sure you've got fuel for 200 miles - there aren't any gas stations along the way!

EDIT: BTW, for a 'remote camp' one night you might try to get to one of the cabins that are out there. Primitive camping, but at least some shelter. Many of them are available for public use.
  3. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah I know about the ADV group but I don't want to take the extra days off at work, saving them for early new year.

I'll keep a lookout. I've been out there a few times before but this time I'm the head planner so I'm looking around for peoples favorite loops.

Thank for the info.
  4. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    This is still on.

The groups up to about 8, maybe as many as 12. Bikes range from a DRZ400 to a 1200GS. Can't wait to try out the 630 in DV. :thumbsup:

We'll be arriving in the afternoon on the 13th, hoping to be there by 2-3pm. Staying until the 16th.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Very nice of you! :thumbsup:

(I cannot make it though)
  6. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Just now realized you're PCFLY on ADV. :doh: I did not put that together 'till now. Sometimes I'm a little slow.
    -Browneye :oldman:
  7. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    no worries.....

This rides still on, hoping to be at Panamint Springs by 3pm on Sunday. I'll have the 630 on the back of the truck. You guys can tell me where the best roads are when I get there.
  8. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR250R, GoldWing, Africa Twin
    You guys are killing me! I've been wanting to ride DV for some time now but couldn't make it this time. If something happens again in March or April I'll join in. Heck, I may just do a solo out there if need be but a group would be more fun! Question: is the hot springs area reasonably safe enough to leave truck and trailer while exploring? If not, any suggestions as an alternative? I'm doing Big Bend NP in Feb. and after that, DV sounds perfect. In fact, since BB is almost half way there, maybe I'll just keep going after that ride is complete.
  9. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Although many do it alone, DV is not suggested due to the remoteness of it. People have gotten stuck and died out there. I guess if you have a SPOT, or can get to a main route where another traveler might happen along.

If you're referring to the hot springs in Saline, yes, probably no issue with leaving your truck there. But it's far better to stage further out and ride in, it's a horroble road. Takes a day to drive it, a couple of hours to ride it.

If you're talking about Panamint Springs Resort, then yes, it's a campground right off 190 and you can proably arrange with the managment for a parking spot if you're just leaving your vehicle there. You can also leave a rig at Ballarat for $3 a day. And you can park at Trona Airport for like $5 a day or something, stage from there and ride out.

There's another ADV group ride coming up end of January. I may or may not go depending on weather. It can be pretty cold that time of year, and the higher elevations are snowed in.

I have another buddy gearing up for ADV riding and will be dying to get a trip in, maybe March. So check back if you want to do a group ride or something.

Here's my ride report with a link to the rest of my 71 photos in the first paragraph: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showpost.php?p=17303498&postcount=643
    And the whole thread in case you're interested: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=732918

Here's Larryboy's report on his 21 day solo trip thru DV, pretty good read. He's very knowledgable about the area: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=644457
  10. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for the info. If your friend is interested in riding early March, it would work out great for me as I could combine rides and save a lot of diesel. Death Valley is a LONG way from Houston. I will probably bring a pickup camper with the bike on a trailer. I also have a nice Airstream trailer but it sounds like that might not work out too well in DV with the riding far from any RV spots. Maybe you can get the two of us together and we can discuss tentative plans.

Ken
  11. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    Ah, did not realize you were coming from Houston.
    March is a long way off for me. Can do some tentative planning though.

One of my offroad riding buddies has been bitten by the adventure riding bug and he plans to pick up a WR250R in Feb. Don't know if he'll be ready in March or not. Certainly no problem for doing a long weekend in DV though. I would be happy to come out and play tour guide if that works out. Although I'm a realative noob for DV.

As far as truck and camper or trailer, any will work for getting to a staging spot to ride from. There are several campgrounds and camping spots that are easy to get to in and around the park.

I don't know if I already mentioned it, but the statistics are astounding: Death Valley National Park is 3.4 million acres and that does not include Panamint, Saline, nor other surrounding areas which could easily double that figure. You could spend a month there and not see it all. Elevations range from 285 below sea level to more than 10,000'. The higher elevations are pretty well snowed in all winter, but there is plenty to explore in the lower areas. By March things thaw out pretty well although last year there was a snow storm early in the month on a big weekend event out there an half the people couldn't get there over the other passes. It was snowing in Darwin - go figure.

We'll have to start a trip planning thread for DV for next year.
  12. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm enjoying Larryboy's report right now and he has a ton of info. I haven't found what month he was out there though. Riding in the cold isn't the best and it would be great to hit it with cool nights and decent days. When would that be? Once I'm out there, I will want to stay for several weeks to explore. A tour guide for part of it would be great! Now, I need to figure out how Larryboy carried all of that fantastic grub! I may need cooking lessons too!
  13. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
  14. Huskyfly Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    You can do a search on ADV for nOObs on knoobies 2011 ride, last years ride had about 140 people and was well staffed for food and beer! Can't wait for this years ride.
  15. Kenneth Webb Livin' It Up!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630 TR650 Terra TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well I pulled the trigger on some dates: I made reservations, for starters, at Furnace Creek, March 6 thru 14, but honestly I have not even tried to map out where to go and the best place from which to stage. Panamint Springs is pretty booked already with other groups, and I just wanted a place with hookups for when I was at the rig. Not required though. I'll bring camping gear, but a nice bed is nice too! I have a possible riding partner from Tucson, but he's way far from half way committed on this ride. It's easy for me to be in the DV area earlier than the 6th as I'm pretty flexible on time (retired). ADV Rider has some folks going at the end of March, but I can't make those dates. I need to get maps of the area and start marking out some loops or routes, then confirm where to stage. If anyone wants to join, the door is open.....
  16. CJBROWN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    '15 R1200GS
    I will pencil it in.
    The ADV nOObs Rally is at the end of Mar, 1st of April. Some others are going end of January.
    Weather can still be iffy, but Furnace Creek is good. It's just a lot further for us than PSR or Stovepipe Wells. Good riding all around though. Quite a truck if you want to try to get to Saline Valley.
    Probly should start a new thread for it.