1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Crank bearings

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
  2. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Good luck with those
    hvaloz3 likes this.
  3. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    They look like ZKL which I have been using on ignition side. Yes from eastern europe but ZKL uses great steel. Must verify the these are ZKL s to use.
    Make sure that its MAX capacity and C3 stamped on bearing.

You have to go with the only other unit out their and that the 3205-C3 E from at price about $83 Its made by MRC
    for SKF. Note this has a poly cage. This unit now have 26 balls vs older 28 balls.
    SKF engineer says poly should hold well for are race engines. Still very big fan of these SKFs
    steel, engineering, all have been advanced in last few years.

Another really bad feedback for bearings 600,000 pounds of counterfeit bearing bearing seized in last year.
    Including SKF in this group with correct packaging to boot. Lots of FAG bearings in loop that are Counterfeit

I only now purchase SKF s that are shipped direct from bearing supplier that they get them straight from factory. But the ZKL s
    are for real. Verified these ZKL s with their engineers a couple years ago

Buyer beware on bearings
  4. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Don't forget the bearing assembly half moon cutouts go towards the inside. The horizontal thrust is towards the outside.
    The cutouts towards the outside hammers the balls everything they pass by the assembly window.

I learned this in testing gear boxes on why they failed in two days on a dyne. When the bearings were installed properly no failures occurred.
  5. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    The trouble with buying stuff on line like the link in post 1 is that often what they call a stock photo is used not an exact representation of what is delivered. That bearing number does not indicate maximum capacity/loading slot. The one I got MRC like described in post 3 has a m on the box. Do the original bearings even have markings to indicate maximum capacity on the bearing itself. It seems to me that in the last year or 2 a non maximum capacity double row bearing was installed, just from taking a few engines apart. There are likely a few previous threads on this topic that could be searched up.

There is also a slot of notch between the two hollows the balls run in. I suspect no matter which way one of those is installed if a thrust force exists the bump going by that is impossible to avoid.
  6. husqyhamm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Quite a few 83-86 500 2Ts and 4Ts
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 R80 GS Dakar; Victory 106.
    I have split dozens of husky engines and yet have to see one double row bearing which failed. The two single row ones on lefthand side and gearbox bearings are always more worn way worse.
    Loooong before that double row angular contact quits some other kind of issue will neccessitate cases to be split at which point one replaces all bearings in any way.
    Bearing technology and specs have leapt way beyond what a max capacity 28 ball fag was 40yrs ago. Today a top quality 18 baller will do the job more efficiently and at a fraction of the cost and inconvenience of finding a 26 baller. Even reinforced polamide cages are good for the task.
    Bigbill, i really appreciate all your posts and endeavours. A husky crank only experiences and exerts "horizontal force" when you are busy bolting the cases together or when seperating them. Thereafter the whole assembly literLly floats.
    The feeding slots on that double row bearing goes to the outside as per original husky and for one very good reason. If ever that bearing was to start failing, those slots is where the filings and crap will be spewing out from.
    markt2 likes this.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
  8. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    c3.jpg
    When I clicked on that link in post 1 advertising for that zero place is popping up as I wander around. A common thing for links put in forums like this. I found the c3 rating in the description, at least I think so. One could look up the ratings and try and figure out if it was max capacity.
  9. markt2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1976 250CR (times 2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Several vintage Yamahas
    ABEC-3 is somewhat of a "quality" rating... higher numbers indicate a bearing made with closer +/- tolerances to the standard dimensions for that bearing.

C3 is an "internal clearance" rating... A C3 is designed with more internal clearance than a "normal" (N) bearing.

Not the same thing...

Say a piston manufacturer makes pistons in different "grades". Grade 1 is guaranteed to be machined within +/- 0.005" of the blueprint dimensions. Grade 2 is guaranteed to be manufactured to a much closer tolerance of +/- 0.001" of the blueprint dimensions.

Now let's say they sell the pistons in Standard size and 0.030" oversize... both sizes are available in Grade 1 or Grade 2 quality.

A standard size piston of either grade wouldn't work too well if you needed the 0.030" oversize piston...

Similarly, a "normal"clearance bearing (of any ABEC rating) is not the same as using the specified C3 bearing designed to have more internal clearance than normal.
    Vinskord likes this.
  10. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics

So Bill, Are you saying the Husky engineers are wrong? The Husqvarna manuals show the cutout (filling slot) must face outboard. This is the way I have built my Husky motors for the last 18 years with out a single failure.

Marty
  11. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

the reason to turn the cutout to the outside is because the oil passage built into the case will feed the bearing oil on the ignition side
    on the clutch side it is not critical as they are in an oil bath, but the book says out so it faces the oil supply, sort of redundant due to the inner bearing gets its oil through the outer bearing
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    So you put the cutout on the out board side and at 6 o'clock on the bottom of the bore so it is fed oil?

Your right with straight cut gears there's to thrust forces horizontally. With helical cut gears with ball bearings it matters which way the bearing is installed or the cutout hammers the balls.
  13. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    the cutout does not need to be at the very bottom, this is the Husqvarna 86 2-stroke engine repair workshop manual page 26