1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

CR360 1976 Engine re-assembly - any tips?

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Laverdaton, May 10, 2020.

1. Laverdaton Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm just about to re-assemble my 360 engine after a crank rebuild, new piston and rebore.
    Are there any tips or assembly sequence in the bottom end that I should be aware of before I start....?
    Thanks in advance
  2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Do you have the manual for assembly, I hope so.

Marty
    Steve-F and Crashaholic like this.
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    In addition to a shop manual the attached PDF is a few pages of Service Bulletins for your bike. For engine related see 5 through 13.

One thing I've learned with engine rebuilds is to make sure the surface of the base gasket, intake gasket, and the right side crankshaft seal retainer-plate gasket are clean and flat. Air leaks at the intake and base gasket guarantees the bike will not run right. I even started using Permashield gasket sealer to make sure I don't have to take things apart again. It takes a very small amount, is fuel resistant, and can be cleaned off the gasket surfaces later if needed using brake cleaner. Another thing I do is run a tap in the fastener holes to make sure the threads are clean so the torque isn't skewed by debris or poor threads and when the threads are damaged they get a heli-coil.

For me a new rebuild that doesn't idle right, runs lean, and seizes ruins the entire rebuild experience.

Attached Files:

markt2 and Steve-F like this.
  4. Laverdaton Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks for your responses.
    Has anyone got a rebuild manual in PDF that I could have a copy of? I looked in the technical section but the links don't seem to work for me. I won't start without the manual......