1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR125 Piston oil holes for exhaust bridge

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Kushbudz, Feb 10, 2018.

1. Kushbudz Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm doing a top end on a 2008 CR125 and ordered a piston from vertex. The Vertex piston does not have oil holes for the exhaust bridge like the original oe piston. Do these need to be drilled or is it ok using the piston as is?

MVIMG_20180210_194435.jpg

Also do all of the years get both the o-ring and the washer on the pipe at the cylinder. According to the 2008 parts catalog the 08 gets the metal washer(part3) and no o-ring (part2). Interestingly when I pulled the pipe it had the o-ring but there was no washer. Looks like most of the other years show both in the parts list.

Screen Shot 2018-02-10 at 8.03.39 PM.png
  2. johnnyboy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 250f
    I would drill the holes only because I know of a bike that nipped up after fitting one that was not drilled very shortly after being replaced.
    Another piston was fitted with the holes drilled and all was fine.
    As for the washer I have never seen a 125 of any year that has not been fitted with one, Cant see that it would be harmful not to run one as most makes of bikes dont bother fitting one.
  3. PaulD Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 wr250( sold)
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Sprint RS. Honda TRX300EX Be
    I think the washer is there to prevent the spring tension from causing the pipe to wear into the aluminum. Mine was in the bore the pipe fits into all gummed up wth oil and carbon. It must be an optical illusion from the angle but the piston appear to be slightly different in height?
    Travis616 and NCSteve like this.
  4. Miezie666 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2x YZ 125, 1x YZ250 2005, XT600 2KF
    Do yourself a favor and drill these holes- i knew from beeing a YZ125 rider these holes will keep your engine last- if they are not there the exhaust bridge tend to crack due to extreme heat or it will expand to much and cause a seizure...
    Picklito and NCSteve like this.
  5. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    Unless the exhaust bridge was relieved for heat expansion ,drill the holes. Most companies that re plate cylinders put a relief in bridge...OEM has as well, but the confidence of not second guessing and drilling the holes is your best bet. Wiseco made that mistake many years ago by not pre-drilling holes and allowing unexperienced owner repaired not to "follow the enclosed directions" that were most likely thrown away instead of read.
    Still trying to figure how your Vertex piston is not pre-drilled...I have a new one in front of me #22600C and it is drilled. I even checked 2 prior piston changes ,that I never throw away for some reason, and are drilled ???? Take your new piston, without rings, install it on rod with pin and wrist pin bearing(won't need to put clips on at this point ) slide the cylinder on, down to cases ,move the piston so the ring groove is barely showing at top, thru exhaust port hole, and use a nice sharp "pencil" and scribe lines on piston, on both sides of bridge, from top to bottom . carefully remove cylinder and piston and check your lines. My 2 piston holes are 1/16" ...the first hole measured from TOP of piston down is at .453'' (29/64") and the second hole down from top of piston is at .906" (29/32"). Take your time ,measure ,check your measure and drill in the MIDDLE of the 2 lines you marked with pencil. I would buy a new split point drill bit if possible...helps for drilling into curved surfaces.
    lankydoug likes this.
  6. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    I ordered a Vertex piston and saw the short skirt and no holes drilled., sent it back to the seller and ordered the OEM piston....and got the same darned piston....short skirt, no holes. I drilled it and ran it.:excuseme:
    taps likes this.
  7. robbyredneck Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    yz250f, crf250r kx100
    drill it per directions. new oring and flat washer on the pipe.it will serve you well. that old piston was spanked
  8. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc

Started on a YZ125, too. Was lucky to find a good machinist who showed me how to drill the holes and relieve the bridge, back when I didn't know $#!+. Got great life out of the motor where others were having reliability issues. Drill with a sharp bit as to minimize stress risers around the holes, and ride it like...
    Miezie666 likes this.
  9. omnivore Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 WR165
    Other Motorcycles:
    12 more bikes.
    My 125 had no washer. I never knew it should till now. I installed the WB pipe by reusing mymold.o.ring and no washer. Guess thats 2 more things i need to fix
  10. Hurky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha WR480F 2008
    Sorry for reviving this old thread, well some movement to the forum can not hurt neither :D

I always read that you should only drill forged pistons, never cast ones, as they could later crack .... Now I see that you drilled a cast Vertex and I'm confused ...
    I have a Honda CR250 cylinder with a exhaust bridge and I am not sure if I can/should drill the cast Vertex piston I have already bought or just install it as it.

I searched the web and got across this site from a cylinder repair shop from NZ: http://nzcylinders.com/Exhaust bridges.html
    Cheers !
  11. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Been 4 years since i installed my piston. Runs great, but it is probably about time to refresh the top end again.