1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

125-200cc CR/WR/WB 177

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by wallybean, Feb 17, 2014.

1. husky195 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 Wr165 2013 wr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    1994 TM250 1995 TM125
    Let me know walt when we can do an aussie version . I have got a new 125 sitting in a box and this sounds like the perfect excuse to get it out.
  2. yzrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2004 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 yz250f 197? rickman zunpaap 125
    Im super curious about this. How hard could a 165 be made to run on mid-top? Seems generally there set up real broad and luggable. If not maybe a 177 is the solution haha
  3. Chums Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I'd like to discontinue my account
    Absolutely easy to get the 165 to run mid top! Walt did up a 165 kit with a mildly high comp head (50/50 race gas) and with fatty pipe its a lugger but with the HGS pipe I put on (I've heard Doma works well also) it still retains almost all the low end but pulls you hard all the way to red line! I felt I was short shifting with the fatty vs being in the correct gear with the HGS but thats my opinion.
    Motosportz has a good thread going about choosing your power band and its all based off changing pipes and its really that easy. J have a 300 as well and came of a 570 berg so I know the meaning of power, that 165 will give most 250's a run for their money!
  4. spud1968 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just came across this 177cc thread what can i say apart from......who's going to be the first customer
  5. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Me, I hope.
  6. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Looks like WALT was as he was so impressed he kept the first one for himself :lol:. Can't say I blame him either :applause:.
  7. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I might actually get to ride it in the next week or so:banana::applause::cheers:. Have to drive a ways no matter what but looking forward to getting some actual miles in on the motor. I hope to have tnttimber's crank back in about 2 weeks. Will be putting his motor together asap at that time. When they ship to me I will have him ship his motor to me.
    JRod4928 and tnttimber like this.
  8. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    SO HOW THE GOLF COURSE:eek:
  9. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Any thoughts on crankshaft life, with the increase in mean piston speed associated with the longer stroke paired with the stock rod length? I've had some rough experiences with a Honda 167 (revved mercilessly). Same stroke on a 2mm smaller bore. Granted, the Honda rod length is 104mm while the Husky's "appears" to be about 106 so the ratio is more favorable to begin with......
  10. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

Crank pin/bearing size on the huskies is also 2mm more so it is utilizing heavier parts than the Honda. It is a good question and will find out with time. I will be interested to see where the power is best utilized on the 177.
  11. 1d9n7r8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 JR80, 01 JR80, 01 JR50, PW50
    Bumping the thread, its been a couple weeks Wallybean, have you had the bike out? I think my '99 is going to need a "complete rebuild" this winter. At least, that's what I'm going to tell her, if the 177 holds together :)
  12. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

I have only done a little riding. Here is what I wrote to TNTTimber as I am sending his motor back tomorrow.

"I have done a little ride and the 177 likes the top end pipes. It runs really good with the 200 SX Fatty but it has equivalent bottom/mid to the 165 with the 200 Fatty using the top end pipe and revs far better. More everywhere with the Stock 200 SX pipe made by Doma. I can't wait to try it with the 200 SX DEP pipe when it gets here. I will weld one up and send it to you to try as soon as I get one. Should be any day."

"I did quite a bit of back and forth riding between my '12 177 and my 09 165 this afternoon. Just zipping around the property and on the county road. Definitely a noticeable difference and I think with the 200 SX Doma the 177 actually has a bit more bottom/mid than the 165 with the 200 fatty, from there it isn't really close. I wish I had my own dyno or just a near by dyno I could use to compare the two. For now my fat ass is all I have to go by. The 177 sends the front wheel skyward at every shift through the first 4-5 when I am hooked up. On the county gravel road it is just spinning squirrelly everywhere and it rained .5" yesterday."

Now the question will be durability. I don't want to really endorse the 177 until I have some serious riding on it, with a couple of other riders putting in equivalent time. Tnttimbers will be in his hands by mid/week and I have another headed out in about 2 weeks. This should give us some good background durability work. Now the big question is it worth all the extra money? If you are due for a complete bottom end re-build then the added expense isn't that much over just a normal crank re-build. If you have a solid motor and just want more then it is certainly more of a gray area. I never felt I needed more and have always been happy with the 165. The 177 has more everywhere and I think the added stroke really helps widen the power band. JMO. Without TntTimber pushing me to build the 177, I would never have done it on my own. The first one I built was for him but when I tried it, I had to keep it. Go figure.
    john01, 454x, woodsrider and 2 others like this.
  13. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    So I need to find a 125 with a bad bottom end, hmmmmmmm.
  14. woodsrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    '18 Alta MXR
    Exactly. LOL!
  15. Eaglefreek Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300
    jmetteer, 1d9n7r8 and JRod4928 like this.
  16. 1d9n7r8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    99 WR125
    Other Motorcycles:
    03 JR80, 01 JR80, 01 JR50, PW50
    Sounds we have a winner....:applause: I don't know where Sonora is but I'm working in Burney,Ca. right now... No hard feelings if I intercept the 177 kit and hop on the first plane home to Indiana... I'll let you know how it runs:D
  17. wallybean Mini-Sponsor

18. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Sure, but if you bring it to Oregon to visit R-B then you can leave it and I will happily provide a second fat ass reading, in addition to the dyno tests !! Heck you can leave them until you have time to come back....next fall.

Win-win!
    wallybean likes this.
  19. jmetteer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TXC300 CR125 CR144
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250F, TRANSALP
    I am stopping by there tomorrow or Wednesday to pick up the crank for my TXC. I will check it out for you and write your name on it. :-) I am sure we could get a few CH members to kick in some coin and add it to your magic workshop...

Later,
    TROFFER88 and wallybean like this.
  20. rockdancer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 WR125, 2019 FE350
    If twenty of us chip in around 50 each thats a grand towards it
    Would that make it more affordable?

We will all reap the benefits.
    Who can organise this?. . John?