1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Countershaft seal leak

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by SteveJ, Jul 26, 2014.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I use the lazy mans approach. Lay the bike over on its left side and Remove the countershaft sprocket. Spray some brake cleaner to remove the oil residue. Then use some Loctite bearing retaining fluid ( the green stuff ) to seal between the Shaft and the bearing, or between the bearing and the case, which ever You think is leaking. Let dry overnight before leveling bike. Repeat process every 2-3 rides.
  2. firecrackerkid Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390 OR, 84 250WR, 83 175WR
    That's not lazy. Mine leaks enough I barely have to oil the chain and only change the oil at the end of the season. Course I've only rode once this year:cry: so I'm good on the oil change anyway.
  3. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna 510TE , 300WR Etc...
    Just received the 'first off' from our sprocket suppler to test...

Andy.
  4. Moody390 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Andy,

Make it known when these will be stocked! I'll be purchasing one for sure.

My case saver was eroded badly so I machined mine out and put in a lip seal. It only allows oil to drip past if the bike is leant on its right for 30 odd seconds so its not a big problem.

Tho I would prefer this option.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had a Suzuki shifter shaft that drove me nuts. I installed two new seals and she still had a leak. I looked closer and found a tiny burr on the shaft that cut the seal when I went to install the seal. Where the seal rides was perfect.

Just some leak for thought stuff.

Now I find my leak came from the play on the output shaft to bearing inside diameter. I washed the area and put a thin layer of silicone around that area in the corner. Then I added some silicone on the cover. This is a temporary fix. Till you do the correct fix above.
  6. gday Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    84KDX200,KTM125-85,250-85,85maico250
    Andy. Any news on those countershaft seal kits? Glenn
  7. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Waiting for the heat treatment on the special splined spacer...

Andy
  8. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did the same thing You did, except I made a new one using plastic. I machined the ID undersized so that it would be a press fit over the shaft and so that oil couldn't leak between the two. After sitting for 3 days its no longer making a pool in my shop.
  9. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Use a Viton O-ring. luckily mine don't leak much. My old KTM had the o-ring and spacer setup for the countershaft..
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Always check your oil level in the tranny. That's the most important thing. I silicone the four bolt cover and silicone the splines on the spacer. This slows down the running seepage. At least till you get the HVA parts or replace the bearing. You would never think these bikes would last for so long.

Always wear your protective gear every time you throw a leg over the saddle.

The four times I broke ribs proves to wear your protective gear. My ribs hurt to this day. Trust me I never rode without it. The few times I didn't wear my chest protector I paid the price. It's as important as our wallet, car keys. Don't forget the brain bucket(helmet). In my few crashes I wouldn't be here today if it wasn't for the helmet. To my husky brothers and sisters I can't stress this enough. Not even a quick test ride.
    I never knew the quad I had could throw my 290lb body over the bars. Looking back as everything is in slow motion seeing the horizontal back rack going verticle my thought was this was going to hurt. I woke up on the ice. I did a face plant with the helmet. Not good. Be safe, ride safe.
  11. hva-factory CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    RUF and 2premo like this.
  12. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just did the same thing, except I made a new spacer from Plastic. I made it with the ID a bit undersized so that its a press fit over the shaft, and therefor no Oil can leak between the two. Cut a grove as above for an O-ring between the Bearing and the Spacer. So far it has worked well it hasn't leaked a drop. Keep in mind that if the Bearing is leaking between the Bearing OD and the Case or if the Bearings Seal is shot this won't do anything. So it has fixed the most common way that they can leak of the 3 ways these things fail.
    SteveJ likes this.