1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Consider the YZ490 Connecting Rod

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 390Dave, Mar 29, 2013.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

There has been some mention of the Yamaha YZ 490 Rod. This Rod has been adapted to a number of Vintage bikes. Maico 490-500's are a common use of this rod. It is a bit longer than the Maico, and an extra base Gasket is needed. However a Replacement Maico Rod is now available, and the YZ Rod is no longer necessary. So maybe this Rod could be used for the Husqvarna. Don't worry, the Replacement Rod doesn't have the " M " word on it.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I kick my butt twice I sold three new rod kits in my used husky parts for $300 total. About 12 years ago.
    troy deck likes this.
  3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    WTH were you smoking:lol:
  4. 390Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 250XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    80 Maico 440 84 IT490 84 MXC 250
    Here are a few photos of a new 3R5-11650 YZ490 rod and kit,I am rebuilding an 82 YZ490J engine for a friend of mine.Would need to have about .080" removed from each side of the crankpin end to use in a Husky,doesnt look like it will be an issue.The big end bore looks to be plated,the small end does not.New crankpin has splines on one end.

Attached Files:

5. 390Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 250XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ive discovered that a late model KTM 380 SX/EXC rod is the same length as Husky at 135mm,but uses a larger OD big end bearing and a 1mm larger,26mm crankpin.If anyone could get one and measure it,there might be another alternative...An early,long stroke Rotax/Can-Am 250 piston,and the Leaverton/Wiseco "OSSAWORLD"Ossa replacement piston might have the right compression height and bore size availability to use the Yamaha rod in a 250 Husky..you would need to cut the intake transfer slots into the piston though.
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Wouldn't the larger end hit the case? Is there enough room to bore the crank weights and offset the big end of the rod to clear the case. 1mm isn't much on the offset.
    No one offers new husky rod kits?
  7. 390Dave Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 250XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    Bill,I haven't seen a KTM 380 rod out of an engine,so I have the same question..boring the crankwheels 1mm wouldn't be too difficult for a skilled machinist,would be a good opportunity to correct factory machining errors too.
  8. GaryM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430cr second 430 CR 500cr
    Other Motorcycles:
    1981 490 Maico
    No need there are several sources for new Husky rods now. Plus if one needs a 500 I have two good used ones here I may sell. I have about five used 430s rods here also.
    For new rods these may need to be made from these shops.
    RUF and dartyppyt like this.
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    hva factory have new rods.
  10. RUF Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 air, 400WR 85, 430WR 87
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R80GS, GILERA 175RC 1972........
    I was told that the SKIDOO Rotax Formula Mach 3 Z 800 connecting rod can be used on big bores.
    Anybody has any king of experience with those rods ?
    Its price is very cheap....less than 50 dollars....
  11. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I think people are looking for an alternative to the HVA rod. Not everyone wants to pay for a "Formula 1" rod.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I did use a Japanese rod in a 250mag engine. That was 15+ years ago. The rod was 133mm and I think it was a 135mm (husky)originally. I can't remember the crank pin from another bike was the correct diameter but needed the length shortened. The rod was a Yamaha but the rod bearing had some play not much. I sent Craig at the husky club all the info and part numbers which he posted in his club letter. I guess he left the club members. He doesn't answer my emails. He kept the husky thing going for so long.

Here I am back after 15 years in not touching a crank and still hunting solutions for replacement parts.
  13. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    You can find specs on many current rods in Hot Rod catalog. The big thing I found was that there was not a single rod they have in current production that matched all critical dimensions.

Found matches for center to center @ 135mm and matched within .5mm for the 500 rod @145mm with a KX500 rod. However, the IDs and widths were non matching. The solution with them would be to request a custom build and a minimum build qty of 4. If there is enough demand it would become a catalog item for them.

Their rods are drop forged 8620 and deep carburized after machining. I have never seen such specs on the F1 rods
  14. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    As much demand as there is they should be able to sell 40+ Husky rods, a lot of people would buy a kit even if they didnt need it right away just to have one.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had to grind the width of the lower rod so it would fit the width of the crank.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    You know what I think?

Wiesco, Pro x, and the other connecting rod manufactures offer new husqvarna rod kits for the later huskys not the vintage bikes. I think these guys have a grudge against the older husqvarnas because they probably raced against husqvarnas with there Penton/Sach bikes with the bad trannies and lost to the husqvarnas?

I'm sorry I just had to go there. Kidding but why no connecting rod kits for the older vintage and post vintage huskys?

I talked to one very old Penton owner who lost to the husqvarnas racing and he hated the Swedish husqvarnas to this day. Bad blood guys you been warned.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    probably because there is very little demand. they take forever to wear out and when they do, many just put another used one in..of course, i would like to be able to buy em just like everyone else, but thats just how it is.
  18. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I dont know anyone who hates Huskys, especially Penton guys because John Penton helped bring Husky to the US (along with Edison Dye) and raced them himself before the started the Penton line of motorcycles. I think its just because they last so long as mentioned above, there is much less demand.
  19. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    John Penton earned a national enduro championship on Husqvarna and Jack rode one in maybe 1980 after KTM but before becoming a development rider for Kawasaki.
  20. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Jack helped Kawasaki design the awesome KDX which they said was in 175cc, 200cc, & 220cc it is in a small kx125 frame and the wr tranny. Just like his dad did in the early days without the technology. John Penton would be even greater winning wise if he raced the KDX. At one of the competitions the Penton boys and there riders rode all husqvarnas. I think husqvarna was put in the back seat in the Penton story. One of my co-workers who raced during the husqvarna era told me if you wanted to race and be up front those guys all had husqvarnas. My sons buddy is old enough to remember the Pentons breaking. I think it was problems with the Sachs tranny. He said they were always breaking down.

My son blew two trannsmissions up in his kdx220. I know he rides harder than your average rider. The input shaft needle bearing failed twice. From not getting any lube to it. They installed a thrush washer with a larger diameter than the needle bearing. This sealed off the needle bearing from getting any oil to it. I put two oil grooves in the case circling around behind the thrust washer to the bearing. My son was upset and drilled and tapped the outside bearing boss for a zero fitting so he can grease it before every ride. The bearing hasn't failed in a longtime now it's beem many years. Due to the fact I worked for one of the top ten engineering groups in the world as a lead tech in the test lad I contacted Kawasaki engineering about my sons KDX tranny breaking. They told me they would look into it but never knew they had a problem. The 220cc might be on the edge of what that tranny can take.

My point is no bike is perfect unless it's a Swedish husqvarna, sorry there tranny never gave me problems but mine never leaked.