1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Compression release?

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Mar 29, 2017.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    I haven't seen the chain saw decompression so can't comment on those . With the hole from the exhaust port thru to the cylinder to me seems that the lower the rpm , the greater effect that it would have to bleed off compression . Seems to me that 2 things would have to be considered , location of hole and size .
    Location of hole , the closer to the top of the cylinder the more distance the piston can travel upwards bleeding compression . When the piston passes the top of the hole it's like when the piston passes one of the ports , closing it even though the compression release is still open leaving the remaining upward travel to boulder compression for starting . Now if the hole is lower , there is less upward piston travel to decompression off and should have a higher compression than the higher placed hole for starting . This is assuming identical size holes .
    Now as for size of the hole , like a carburetor , the bigger the hole the more it can flow than a smaller hole given the same location . So what I mention before about Maico owners going to the 18 mm compression release , they are refilling and tapping the existing 14 mms hole bigger to fit the 18 mms comp release . The 18 mms release itself allows more pressure to be released but since the hole in the cylinder is also now 2 mms higher , the piston will pass the hole later on the upward travel allowing even more compression to be bled off.
    As for snagging a ring , after drilling , champer the hole .
    That 14 or 18 mms hole should be smaller than the other ports plus no other holes at that height .
    Are the chain saw decompression 1 way or do they also allow air in ?
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    Fluff Brown the long time owner of AJS after Norton Villiers went bust showed me a 410 barrel/jug where he had done this to ease starting.
  3. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
  4. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Put mine in the head 10mm straight through but used a decomp valve with a metal plunger button and welded it to the top so the plunger cannot break out of the body and into the engine.
    The plunger sits flush with the dome surface, heated the head up before tapping the thread, the button sits lower than the ac fins but is operated by a modified choke lever attached to the head as operating it without would lead to burnt gloves.
  5. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    420s don't need compression releases lol well ours doesn't
    All the shops offering decomp services will have a small hole through from the decomp . Google images it .
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I was going to install a compression release on the rear of the ac cylinder about 1" down but the ring gap is on the rear of the piston right where the hole for the cr would be. Going to off set the cr so it doesn't interfere with the ring gap.

I was part of a test which involved the Husqvarna 2100 chainsaws with a newly designed cylinder and piston porting. The engineers at Husqvarna put the arrows that point forward on the piston for installation were backwards. We noticed it during assembly. A call to Husqvarna they said to install it that way. The ring gap passed through a port in the cylinder. We didn't listen and installed it the correct way. I tested it in the field. We had the only saw that didn't fail in the test. The new design was better on fuel consumption and had a tad more torqu and speed.