Come Ride the 2014 Curly Fern Enduro in Shamong, NJ!!!

Discussion in 'East - USA' started by dfeckel, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    Looks like I am out for tomorrow. Still dealing with aftermath of stupid virus.

So I guess Curly fern is next target for me!

Looking forward to meeting all of you guys!! I will be on red husky 300 :)
  2. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Check in with me later next week, but I should be going as well, and we should definitely plan on meeting up and riding together!

I am racing tomorrow as well, so hopefully I don't break myself or my bike. :)
  3. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    I plan to be at the curly furn on the te630. Black Subaru, lot of stickers on my 630
  4. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    If you new guys want to do some basic timekeeping, you'll need the following items:

-Cheap digital watch (I strap mine around the bar clamp)
    -Roll chart holder ($20 plastic Moose one is fine)
    -Odometer with adjustable tripmeter (any Trailtech, many others)

If you guys don't want to do any timekeeping, and we are on the same line, I will do basic timekeeping for our row, which will mainly be avoiding burning (showing up early) checks, and staying in the middle of our minute on transit sections. If you do decide to do some timekeeping, I will print out a couple extra copies of the jart chart once the club posts the mileage and speeds.

IMO, it's worth having these basic items, even if you don't plan on doing the timekeeping yourself, because it will allow you to follow along and understand the basic of how an enduro works.

ks9mm, is your buddy on the gasgas going to be coming as well? That would make 4 guys on our line, which is probably a full row.

I am WHOOPED (pun not intended) from Sandy Lane yesterday, but I'm excited to get out and ride again next weekend, and it'll be cool to help you guys out and introduce you to the sport!
  5. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    I am all set.

How do you dress for cold weather riding? Just layers? Or something like touring jacket....
  6. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Depends on the temp. In a race, you're working so hard that you really don't need to dress that warmly. Yesterday it was low 30's in the morning going up to about 40, and I just wore my regular gear with thermal underwear under the bottom. It was chilly on the faster road sections, but I was still sweating in all the tests. Looks like 30s/40s for Sunday, which is just about perfect racing temps!
  7. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300 13 WR125 81 WR430 82 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    Don't forget, the gas stop/layover is back at the gun club at the start, so you go back to your truck for gas and refreshments. You can strip some extra clothing off then if it is to warm in what you were wearing in the a.m. Also you then get to ride the endurocross section one more time....:cheers:
    Kyle Tarry likes this.
  8. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175

is waterproof stuff a concern? is the odo on my 630 good enough? got a roll chart, the cheap moose one, missing the clear cover somewhere on a trail in western pa...
  9. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    I don't do anything waterproof. If it's pouring rain it's going to be miserable anyway, so I probably wouldn't go. :cry: Luckily the weather looks good!

I don't know if you can adjust the mileage on a factory 630 odometer, you'd have to look into that. You need to be able to adjust the tripmeter in 0.1 mile increments, if you want to follow the jart chart. If not, no big deal, I'll just keep time for our row.
  10. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    just use some clear duct tape over it, of course double it up sticky side to sticky side where the opening is, I ran mine that way for years and still do at dual sports with charts
  11. Joedints Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZR7-S
    Just a little info about our event...

A clause was added to the Special Use Permit we received from NJ DEP. It basically states...

All participants must remain within the designated route and deviation from this route will result in the forfeiture on the 2015 Curly Fern Enduro. Deviation of said route includes, but not limited to cutting turns short and leaving the approved fire cut... we were told to bring chain saws in the woods are removed and downed trees and to force riders through puddles in the forecuts and along any roads... Please spread the word, we would like to run our event again next year...
  12. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    crazy NJ. bureaucrat bastards. they will not stop until they take every single fun thing away. this reminds me more and more of communist russia
  13. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Here's a roll chart (attached)!

There are a couple minor "errors;" the gas stop is actually just a gas available, so there could be a check right before it, which the chart doesn't show as a possible. The last control is not actually a known control, but rather an observation check; these aren't very different in this context, and you can't really screw up an observation check, so no big deal. I had to fake these a bit because of the software that I use..

Attached Files:

14. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175
    I dont think I am going to make it. Cutting it too close with finances. I will catch you guys another time I guess.
  15. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    For the $50 an enduro is going to cost, you're going to get a month's equivalent of riding in, and on trail and fire cuts that would be illegal to ride otherwise. Keep that in mind...

I'd eat ramen and drink water if it was the difference between racing and not racing. :lol:
  16. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    crap..it looks like I am out of this one unfortunately. :( when is the next one?
  17. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    :thumbsdown:

Guess I'm going to have to double a couple of extra whoops to make up for you sissies!
  18. BaronVonDarrin Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 te630
    Other Motorcycles:
    wr250r, CL175

the difference is more like having money for gas to get to work this week till next pay check. My job sucks.
  19. Kyle Tarry Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 WR 300, 2006 TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Monster S2R 800
    Joe, you and your fellow clubmates did a great job putting this race together, especially given the restrictions imposed by the NJ DEP. I thoroughly enjoyed myself!

The morning sections was one of the most relentless starts to an enduro that I have ever experienced. I think we went something like 35-40 miles without a reset? Some of the trail was typical whooped-out NJ fire cuts, but there was some really good trail mixed in there too. I was behind by a few minutes for a couple checks, and then I managed to get back on time and zero a few towards the end. The afternoon trail was great, you guys found some really good stuff to send us through. And, the little singletrack sections back by the hunting club was awesome, it was tight and slippery in spots, but it was a perfect change from all the fast woods trails we had been on.

I had a great day, ended up 3rd (I think) out of 20-30 riders in C.:thumbsup:
    Joedints likes this.
  20. ks9mm Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE 125
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 Beta 300RR
    Awesome!!!

I was able to make it out to Pines by midday. Put bit over 30 miles on the bike. I was exhausted and took nice spill in the whoops toward the end of the day. Bike ran awesome and recluse was a huge help.

Next upgrade, steering damper.

Ps.
    I don't understand how you can ride 80 mile in one day.. I was exhausted.