Cold start issues SM630

Discussion in '610/630' started by grusomkis, May 19, 2011.

1. grusomkis Husqvarna
    B Class

The day after i got my 630 back from the 1000km service it was very hard to fire it up in the morning. This now happens each time the bike is cold and haven't been used for a couple of hours.
    If i pull the enrichener lever, there is no chance of getting the bike started.
    If i try starting without the lever engaged, the bike starts but has very low idle and tends to stop until it gets warmed up.
    I have talked to my dealer about this and they thought it could be a faulty temp sensor in the air intake. The Norwegian importer put one in the post today, so i hope this solves the problem. I will keep posted how this works out. Just in case someone else gets this trouble in the future.
  2. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Never heard this before, so hope it´s a one-off problem. Please keep us informed. BTW, I wonder what the start lever really does. Is it a choke? Or does it work on the EFI? What is it? The manual keeps it a dark secret.
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    It's the "starting device". :D
  4. jester6i Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Not 100% sure, but I think the lever activates a decompression release.
  5. grusomkis Husqvarna
    B Class

No it doesent.
    It looks that it activates a small piston that sist in a channel on the opposite side of the idle screw.
    I think that when you adjust the idle screw, you push this piston.
  6. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Just judging by what the bike sounds like, I'd say you're correct. It simply turns up the idle slightly. It's nothing you couldn't do with a slight throttle twist.
  7. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

Follow the cable, I believe it increases idle by letting air in just before the throttle body.
  8. grusomkis Husqvarna
    B Class

Problem solved.
    It was the water temp sensor that was faulty.
    I got a new one from my dealer under warranty. Before i put in the new one, i masured the resistance in both sensors "cold" with a multimeter. The old one showed 25 ohm, and the new one did not have any reading. So i put them in warm water, and then i got readings from the new sensor. The old one even got higher ohms.
    The ECU uses info from the water temp sensor to get the mixture right in a cold start. So because i had 25 ohms in my water temp sensor, the ECU belived the engine was warm. So when i pulled te "enrichner lever" the mixture got way too rich.
    It has been cold mornings here in Norway the last month, about 7 degrees Celsius. But a couple of days ago we had about 15 degrees and that morning the cooling fan came on when i turned on the ignition. That had never happened before. The bike usally just stopped after a second and was very hard to get to idle. But when the fan came on that morning, it all made sense to me that the water temp sensor was faulty.
    Put in the new one and she starts like a dream.

So to cut the story short. when the water temp sensor is bad, it doesent need to be bad enough to get the cooling fan to run all the time, like in other cases i have read here on Cafe Husky. At least not up here by the arctic circle :D

Now i just have to wait for my Arrows to turn up. I have waited over a month for them now. :banghead:
  9. Ranka Husqvarna

Same problem here. Yesterday I had it looked at by my local dealer and they said it was a problem with the gas quality. They removed a screw that's supposed to let air in when the bike is cold and low rpms and this solve the problem for some hours. But at night when the temperature dropped, again I had trouble starting it up. Today the same, I had a lot of trouble getting the bike started and when it finally started, the cooling fan started as well.
    I will have it checked again and let you know what's the problem.

I live in Mexico City, at 2200m over sea level and temperatures don't drop that much. I think this morning it was around 11ºC.

I hope it is the water temp sensor. That would make the repair easier since I could point it out to the dealer.

Do you know if it is safe to run the bike in this condition? I am planning on taking it on a little trip this weekend but I don't to take the risk of not coming back riding it.

Besides this, I love the bike. I had a smr510 2010 and it was a bit more explosive and jumped easily but the sms630 is much more comfortable for a daily use and I like very much the bigger gas tank.
  10. 4l0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    what was the outcome as mines the same
  11. Fast1 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Mine is now doing the exact same thing and the fan will run continuously from cold start.
  12. 4l0 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    will let you know when i get my switch.getting one under warranty but fitting it myself,as no local dealers.will get faults cleared later on next service
  13. Grez Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW 1150 GS
    Had a similar problem with mine this Christmas. Trailered it 200 miles for a ride and when I tried to fire her up got nothing. Temp was about -2 C but she turned over just refused to start. Started no problem in my garage before. On the trail if she stalled she was a pig to restart until around mid-day when the temp got above freezing.
    Will look at the water temp sensor and see what if anything is wrong.