1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Clutch failure and FAIL on the screen

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Alberto, Oct 6, 2014.

1. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Hey friends

On the yesterdays ride, at the end of the route(only 10 miles left, thanks god) my clutch failed, I pulled the clutch lever and it was soft, no pressure, and the gears did not disengage, if I had to brake, the engine stopped. I felt that smell if burnt clutch sometimes, not too much. And then the screen showed the FAIL word.

I took the bike home and today I went to move it from one side of the garage to another without starting it and the clutch lever was firm, I felt it like nothing happened.

My chances are, clutch needs replacement, oil was too hot and made it fail, or clutch springs damaged, what Im scared about is the FAIL on the screen. Is this directly related? is there any sensor on the clutch that could make it appear?

Thanks for your inputs in advance
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I don't think the FAIL readout had anything to do with the clutch.

I'm thinking the slave cylinder might be bad.

Look for leaks
    Change your clutch fluid
    Take clutch apart and see if it is burnt.
  3. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    OKay, yesterday night, I started the bike, took out for a short ride around the neighborhood, and the clutch was perfect, as if nothing had happened.

Im still freaked out about the FAIL more than about the clutch.. what do you think about it? Is there any way to know where the FAIL message comes from?
  4. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    This is the oil that was inside the engine when it all happened. Ma IMG-20141007-WA0069.jpeg ybe it was the cause not sure...
  5. tunp Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07 TE610, 13 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 990, 02 FLHTPI HD
    is this an energy saving oil, I can't tell from the web site, but if it has friction modifiers that could be the clutch issue.
  6. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Yup

That oil is NG.

But......that would cause the clutch to slip.....not lock up like it did.
  7. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250

What does NG mean? I have to add that the ride was extremely hard, we begun at 9am and ended at 5 30pm, and there were river crossings, muddy as hell, hyper technical trails, super slow speeds, almost just using 1st and 2nd gears, high revving, and continual stop/start the engine. Does this affect?
  8. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
  9. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    NG=No Good. Maybe your muddy ride just got some dirty junk into the electrical system causing the fail? Could just be coincidence. But if the oil has friction modifiers, well maybe you should try something else and see if the clutch is happier. 5W-50 seems a little thick.
  10. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    Yeah, I will use this one from now on and see what happens [IMG]
  11. shilo020 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010
    Check the clutch fluid level.
  12. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Your engine oil didn't cause the failure. I've seen endless clutch issues resulting from 50W oil in the x-lites and 449s, however, many have used it successfully for thousands of miles. I would change out your hydraulic clutch fluid/bleed to 5.1 if available. Motul 300V 5W40 is good, hope it's not too expensive.
    Alberto and Huskynoobee like this.
  13. Huskynoobee CH Sponsor ZipTy Racing

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449 2006 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    HDUltra Classic IT200 YZ250 SV650s
    Hey Alberto, forgot to mention, that's some very pretty country in your pictures. You and your friends must have a great time with scenery like that! I'm sure you've done this, but if not, check all the plugs, relays, and other electrical connections for water or mud. If you've got wet riding as a regular thing you'll want to clean them with good contact cleaner and add some dielectric grease to all connections to keep the nasty stuff out.:cheers:
    Alberto likes this.
  14. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250

Thanks Tinken, do you know if the FAIL message can show up because something is failing on the engine? Such as valves, timing chain, etc? Im afraid about it.. About the oil, it costs 35 USD the bottle.
    Tinken likes this.
  15. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250

Thanks friend! you are welcome to come here and have some fun! And yes, I have to check all you mentioned, sometimes it requires time and I dont do that often, but I will, promise..
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Fail message is from something electrical like a sensor or break in connection.
    Alberto likes this.
  17. shilo020 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010
    I don't think your clutch has failed. I think the fluid got low and bouncing around or bike on it's side got an air bubble in the line. So it was spongy when you squeezed it and did not move the slave piston enough to disengage clutch. That air bubble has worked it's way out now and clutch is fine.
  18. shilo020 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010
    Is bike still saying Fail? If not forget about it. Electical glitch that went away when turned off and on.
  19. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250

Yes, it is a possibility indeed, because later on, after the ride home(bike on the truck) it worked fine. However, I suspect more about the oil..

The FAIL error, appeared randomly twice during the last part of the ride, when I turned ignition off and back on, it dissapeared. Few minutes later showed up again, and the same happened. When I rode the bike around the neighborhood to check the clutch it didnt showed up. So as you and Tinken said, it is electric glitch
  20. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I didn't say it was a glitch, I said it was electrical. I'd go through all your connectors with dielectric grease and see if that solves the issue.
    Alberto likes this.