1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Cluster gauge doesn't shut off when wet

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Judgie, Feb 10, 2017.

1. Judgie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    So I'm a year into a 2011 TE310 and on my second electrical issue. When out in wet/rain the cluster doesn't seem to want to turn off right away, even with the key removed. It does goes out after a few minutes but its very concerning that I could run the battery dry and have to hike the bike.

Any thoughts on where I should look for a short? And what it may look like?

Thanks

Joe
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    well, first of all: betcha your battery could power that thing for months. so I wouldn't fret that too much. ...and dont'cha have a kickstarter? or are you thinking about a dead-dead battery (0 volts) and you have no capacitor, IIRC? should not be a problem either way.

spray your big connector behind the number plate with wd-40 (also: when you disconnect it, first look for water/moisture). Also, the clear silicon gasket might be suspect if somebody has had the display apart ever. torn rubber button anywhere?

BTW, the TrailTech Endurance II display is bolt-on; you will lose the LEDs though. but the ergos and functionality are way better and it's only $45-$80. Your speedo sensor will plug in, IIRC.

My keyless TE310R instrument "cluster" stays on for 7-10 seconds after the engine is stopped. Do keyed TEs have that feature?
  3. jetmani Husqvarna
    AA Class

My 2011 TE250 does the same thing after I wash i, I push the red butter on the RHS and the dash turns off.
  4. Judgie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    I do have a kick but I didn't think that would work if the battery was dead? Let me rephrase, I had previous issues with a loose fuse and it was draining the battery down to the 'I have to push the bike home' levels. The kick did nothing in this scenarios I just assumed if my battery was dead, so was my bike. I would love to learn that this is incorrect because I kind of feel that it's design is lacking to be dependant on a battery. There are just too many things that can happen out on a ride and it would be nice to have some reassurance.

I'll try your WD40 trick when the weather warms up a bit TrenchCoat, appreciate the tip. This definitely is not a feature of the bike like on your R, it non consistent and usually jibberish.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    loose fuse problem: sounds like you had an open or maybe a short? either one might cause a major starting problem.

depending on what you're calling a dead battery- the kickstarter should work. hell, just try it next time. Someone around here claims that the EFI systems needs a minimum of 9v to operate, which could very well be true. That level of voltage will barely make the headlight glow yellow/orange for a short while; and it might be the fuel pump that is the most voltage sensitive. The bike should kick or bump start still, though.

btw, the Endurance works with the engine/key off too (internal battery). My cluster didn't work until the bike was making electricity which is a minor drag if you coast downhill but want to keep track of mileage.
  6. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    I'm not sure if your 310 is the same, but my 08' needs the 9v minimum to operate the computer. If it falls below that, your SOL even with the kickstart. Really bad design feature. I wish it was like the Japanese motocross bikes that use a capacitor instead of a battery sometimes. There's requires one kick to energize the capacitor and the second kick is supposed to fire the bike up. But then again, those are motocross bikes that don't require lights and a dash to work.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    yeah, a 5 volt minimum would be better; Though I'm wondering however if the pump or coil would have enough energy at that voltage because, upon kicking, maybe the battery would absorb too much- rather than powering. So, yeah, a capacitor would be the way to go. My TE310R has a (D-cell sized) capacitor which I would *guess* is about 1000 or 2000uF. Maybe you guys could add one.

Judgie- if you're at 9volts your battery is pretty dead (but will still power the cluster for another month or two). Try kicking it when the battery drops below 12.5volts or so.

let us know how you do on the moisture hunt.
  8. Judgie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
    I'd really like to explore the option of adding a capacitor, especially if it will overcome the design flaw. Earlier this past summer before I found the loose fuse and burned out wires (off the stator) I would have been stranded without my riding buddies. The KLX450 I borrowed the battery from when mine went dead ran just fine on the donor. I wonder why Husky didn't account for this in the build.

TrenchCoat, did you add the capacitor or is it stock?
  9. Judgie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310
  10. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    my cap came stock (mounted on the bottom of the throttle body).

I'd like to point out, though, that nothing is going to help a bike that isn't producing electricity. You probably were riding on the battery all day... and it finally died, because it wasn't receiving a charge.