1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Clear coat advice

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jo360, Nov 29, 2016.

1. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Got myself one cracked subframe and summer heat is on its way so going to take time out and do another rebuild.
    The frame will be cut and rewelded, seems to be a stress fracture from the po not putting the exhaust on properly and vibrating against the frame.
    Looking at various frame mods might go with a black frame leaving powder coat white as primer also will be painting and clear coating the engine.
    Anybody used kbs diamond clear or can recommend a clear coat highly resistant to petrol etc.
    The iron ore dust seems to stick to everything and trying to get the engine and frame clean and is a real pita at one stage was even contemplating the frame being chromed or zp but decided against it.
  2. endurodave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM MC-5 175,GS 250 IT200N, Beta 300
    SprayMax 2k clear #368 0061 ...... Have had good results using on both motors and tanks.

[IMG]
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I haven't used this product but people I've talked to who have say its good stuff. Even though its gasoline resistant I can't find any info about its temperature limitation. Will it hold up on a 1,000 deg. F header or even a 350 deg. F cylinder? I do think it would be great for the frame and tank.
  4. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I am partial to PPG Deltron paint & clear as it is flexible for plastic and resistant to fuel. I like PPG Omni epoxy for frames.
  5. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Local shop has a small can of the kbs diamond clear its single pack can be thinned with xylene when wet and is poured into a smaller container for use then resealed.
    It carries a warning that once dry no solvent will have any cleaning effect on the product so all clean up must be done when wet.
    Probably will yellow once expised to uv but wouldn,t matter so much on a black frame.
    Will try it and report back.thanks.
  6. disonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 360 wr/rt, 75 wr250 78 cr250,
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 wr250, 84 wr400
    Automotive paints hold up well to gasoline. The rattle cans don't do so well. I don't have the setup or the know how to use automotive paint.
  7. endurodave Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM MC-5 175,GS 250 IT200N, Beta 300
    The SpayMax suits fine on motor cases, and head,, doubt though it'll hold up on an exhaust.
    [IMG]
    Crashaholic and oldbikedude like this.
  8. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Did a 80 km ride in dusty gravel conditions after painting the frame and engine using vht gloss black then clear coated using kbs diamond clear.
    One of my neighbours races vmx but is in the middle of building three bikes and was itching for a ride so with my son upfront and my neighbour second we set off ,got pelted with gravel and dust so thought it would be a good test for the paint job.verdict: very impressed only chipping is around the kick starter where the lever has grazed the frame but this wore through the original powder coat as well, also spilled petrol and brake fluid on the engine cases which wiped off easily and had no effect on the finnish, i clear coated some of the fins on the cylinder and no effect from the heat, rims and hubs used white vinegar/sanding to etch then black etch primer then clear coat no signs of chipping and so much easier to clean as i said very happy and can fix any damage sustained down the road with a paint brush.
    The bike is going to spend the rest of its life as my regular ride with some vinduro rides as well.
  9. ktmal Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 390 auto, 84wr250, 82 250ae
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 150xc/200, ktm 300xcw, rokon rt
    I also recommend ppg products ,if they are not available in Australia then Akzo Sikkens would be the way to go ,There autoclear is one of the best anywhere
  10. Dan Gavin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1979 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many
    +1 on the 2k Spray Max if you can get it. Very durable coating. Just be REAL careful shooting it and use a respirator.
  11. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I've used VHT semi gloss on aluminum cases a few times and it always chips when the case screws where torqued with an impact screw driver and on the head fins when using a plug wrench. I used to use plasti-coat semi gloss and it did the same thing. I've looked into automotive paints but haven't found anything that states its resistant to chemicals and heat. I blast my stuff before an aluminum wash so I know its clean. Still looking for something that will work although maybe it doesn't exist now that we're more ecofriendly. I say this because the original HVA case paints where tougher.
  12. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    original hva paints were powdercoat wernt they?
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I don't think so because all the cases and hubs I've blasted from the 60's and 70's came clean much easier than todays powders, but theres no doubt that original vintage hva paint is far tougher than todays rattle cans.
  14. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    ppg 2021 is good shat, but its pricey. I have used the cheap shop line clear over spray cans on the grill on my dump truck and its holding up great even tho we have bugs here all year long that like to embed into the grills.
  15. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i would like to know what kind of paint the 80s cases are...that stuff is excellent
  16. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Baked on epoxy? Almost like a coating of jb weld judging by the paint on the inside of the clutch cover may have been fired with the cases fully assembled c/w clutch cover ...dunno.
    Hva may have the answer.
  17. auto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    too many
    As for clears I use a good urethane with a catalyst.As for case paint I've been using KG industries gun coat.It needs good surface prep(150 alum oxide) and their surface prep liquid.It is then baked cured.Works great for the hubs too.I use the satin,but may shades available.