1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Clarke 2.2 Gallon Tank report

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by 1982 XC 430, Jan 12, 2017.

1. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WIN_20170110_145836.JPG WIN_20170110_145901.JPG

Attached Files:

2. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

WIN_20170112_154822.JPG I thought I would pass on my Tank I just put together. The Tank is a Clarke from Oregon USA. The side Decals are from e-bay or Jery Montgomery Montgojk1@aol.com . They are more pliable than others I have used. These side decals do not have the Pin Stripes on them they need to be added next. I used 1/4" 3M stripe. Then over the Top I used reproduction clear tank savers the same as the ones sold back in the day for the Original Tanks. Since they are just clear they could be just cut out of some 3M material any shape You would want. All said it probably didn't take much more than an hour to apply the Decals. Because the 2.2 is a little smaller than the original I trimmed the Decals a bit on the back side. As this bike is used as a rider I don't have to be concerned about ruining an original tank. The Tank in my regular picture is the 3.3 version. So far I have never had any issues with Fuel bleeding threw and ruining the Decals. I try to drain the Fuel after each ride and not store it in the Tank. The biggest give away that its not an original Tank is the Black Plastic Cap that's in the middle.
  3. 268fords Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE510'
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF 100, Kawasaki KLX 110
    That is one good looking Husky.
  4. slosh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 wr 430, 84 wr 500, 86 cr 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 Husqvarna wr250, 99 Suzuki rmx250
    Looks great. Is the tank painted red? Have you done anything to seal the tank to stop the stickers bubbling?
  5. 87husky500xc Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2020 tx300i and a few vintage bikes
    Other Motorcycles:
    77 honda xr-75..
    Agreed! Bike looks killer
  6. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    Great looking bike and well done on the tank, are the side panels available off the shelf ? Would like those panels and a stainless steel tank for my 83 if they can be made to fit.
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Sealing the inside with Caswell will prevent the bubbling. Anything else that is not 2 part will dissolve from the ethanol in the fuel.
  8. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    I've used the Caswell on a few fibreglass and steel tanks...but I'm not sure it will adhere to plastic tanks...better double check with them if you want to give it a try.
  9. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Bike looks looks great & so does the tank. Perfect for riding.
  10. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

No, the Tank is not painted it the natural Red Color of the Plastic. If you go to Clarkes Web sight it looks as though the tank only comes in White. They make the Tanks to order, in other words when You order it they make it, and You can get it in any color You want. The side panels are intended for somebody restoring an original Tank, not a Plastic one. In other words it allows You to use body filler to repair a dent, and then cover it up with the Decal. the ones I used are available on the above mentioned web sight. There are others available to. I have some of the Caswell Sealer, and I can't remember if I used it on the last tank I did or not. The last tank has had no Fuel bleed through what so ever. The modern aftermarket tanks might be a bit better than the in this regard than the tanks of the past. I think draining the tank after each ride is the secret to keeping the Decals, and it just encourages something that should be done anyway.
    slosh and justintendo like this.
  11. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    The red clark tank i have (nonhusky) is way thicker than many stock plastic tanks. I think
    that helps them with gas bleeding through or not bleeding through i should say.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Let's show this good looking bike off with a side view. She's purdy.
  13. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Wow what great bunch of info. Tank looks great and from the description I'd say you've come up with an excellent riding tank for these great evo bikes. If there were a tech section specifically for mods this one should be part of it. :thumbsup:

I'm interested in the total cost including the tank and all the decals, care to share?
  14. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I see the Tank is $240 . They have something new if You sign up with them You can get dealer pricing, what ever that is. I think I paid around $200. The side decals were $50 and the rest of them probably another $50.
    Husky cr and Crashaholic like this.
  15. moto_surfer Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 430XC/ Silver Streak/TE300
    I have a new Clarke (3.3) tank as well and I love the chrome decals you put on yours! The gold Husky decals I put on this tank have already started to bubble. I'm going home today and going to drain the tank from now on to prevent the bubbling. Clarke is a real pleasure to do business with, I highly recommend. IMG_2566.JPG
    troy deck, oldbikedude and 454x like this.
  16. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    What a great way to have a nice looking tank on these awesome old scooters. Restoring the stock tank is painful to the wallet, and painful to the soul if you actually want a rider. Thanks for sharing.
  17. Huskerdoo Husqvarna
    AA Class

1982 xc 430, I like your side number plates. Did you mod 81/82 plates or did you trim 83 plates?
    moto_surfer likes this.