1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Cheep quick throttle mod (449/511). You'll be amazed!

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Thrasher, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    Dangermouse asked me about this mod, so here it is...
    Feel free to figure out a better way to do this. If you do... Share!

Remember... the main reason you don't hold your throttle wide open more often isn't because your bike is too powerful, it's because you're hyperflexed wrist is too weak to control the bike for more than a couple seconds. Solve the hyper flexion and you'll hold the throttle wide open more often and longer.

Disclaimer: Not responsible for damage, injury or death if you decide to try this mod.
    And… I’m not an engineer of any kind (actually, I’m a hack!)

The goal is increase the diameter of the throttle tube where the throttle cables ride. This increases the length of pull as a proportion of the distance the throttle is turned. Increase the diameter, but not so much that it won’t fit into the stock throttle housing.

I don’t remember why right now, but I know I had to remove the throttle stop inside of the throttle housing (used a small file, I think) in order to make the mod work. The little “bump” got in the way of the grommet, I think.

I used a trimmed rubber grommet. It isn’t glued or otherwise attached to the throttle tube. It just sits on top of it. The tension of the cable, the channel on top of the grommet and the stock throttle housing keep it in place. The throttle cables have to be loosened prior to installation, then, adjusted afterward. Lubricate well.

Steps:
    1. Prep grommet. Split and trim as needed to produce a shallow cable channel.
    3. Loosen throttle cable adjustments (both)
    4. Open the throttle housing.
    5. Remove throttle stop inside the throttle housing.
    6. Install the grommet/spacer on top of the stock throttle tube.
    7. Lubricate well.
    8. Close throttle housing.
    9. Open/close throttle test.
    10. Adjust throttle cables.

Result: A cheep, awesome quick throttle that will make you think you just added 10hp to your bike. No kidding! Apart from my PCV, it’s done more for power delivery than any other mod I’ve done. Been using it now for about 10 hours… no issues… except wheelies. And, as I said before, the fear of loss of slow speed throttle control seems completely unfounded. Not a problem at all.

Whole Grommet.png

cut grommet.png

trimming grommet.png

installed.png
  2. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    forgot one picture... What the grommet looks like, post trim. Actually, this one could use a little cleaning up, but you get the idea. Post Trim.JPG
  3. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    Wayyy better than the zip tie trick. But even the g2 with fast throttle cam wasnt enough for me. I have now got a 1/6 throttle and its perfect.
    LandofMotards likes this.
  4. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Cool.
    I'm a little worried the rubber could move & bind in the housing (maybe glue might be a good thing)

but I like how you seem to have added bulk to the second half of the twist leaving the low end stuff alone. (Correct?)
    Must have a look at mine next time I'm home:)
    Thanks for sharing :thumbsup:
  5. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    This wasn't really intentional. It just happened to be the length of the cut grommet. However, yes, it does look like it would effect the initial throttle opening less.

If you try it you'll see that between the cable tension, the grove and the throttle housing there just isn't anywhere for the grommet to go. It's not impossible that something could happen so... ya. If you can affix it, it probably would be better.

WHAAAAT ! 1/6th? My mod is maybe 1/4th. Anyway, I'm sure you'd confirm the seat-of-the-pants advantage of the quick throttle. I don't want to keep carrying on but, I was amazed at the improvement... power wise.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    this thread typifies why many times .............
    Please see below and think about doing a mod with a safer, better engineering basis and proven tech.

PS this reputable company has been building safe versions of your new idea for many years.

http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/articles/view/301/throttles_and_throttle_kits/

PPS your design is unsafe and unsatisfactory. IMHO and my ignorance of such revolutionary designs
    LandofMotards and Motosportz like this.
  7. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    You may be right... Howbout you research the exact part that's needed for the 449/511 then give us some info on where the part can be purchased? Also... I remember having to remove the small "bump" throttle stop inside the stock throttle housing in order for the, now larger, throttle tube diameter to work. Do you know if simply purchasing a motionpro throttle tube will require that mod as well? If not, do you know what WILL be needed, what WILL work. And do you know what that's going to cost? Or the best place to purchase it?
  8. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    So, let me reiterate. The "you'll be amazed" part of the thread is the "you'll be amazed at how much difference a quick turn throttle makes". Not, "you'll be amazed at my mod".

I understand where the problem usually is. Some people use the right tool for the right job. They buy the right product for the right application. Their tools are all lined up, sharp, clean and ready for whatever job they're needed for. If they don't have something they need, they go buy it.

THAT's NOT ME! I look at a problem then start searching the house, the basement, the tool box, the toy box, the bathroom, the kitchen... anywhere for something that might work. Then I use whatever set of tools I have to (and I don't have many) to put it together. Some people despise stuff like that. Fine.

Now, a close examination of the throttle will show that the mod I've shown.... should be safe. Once all the parts are put back together one realizes how tight the fit is and that there simply isn't any way for the grommet to bind or be displaced..... probably. The "your design is unsafe and unsatisfactory. IMHO..." just lacked a little "H". And it certainly lacked specific information on an inexpensive alternative.

Rant over.

Get a quick throttle of some sort, "you'll be amazed".
    Mr Ford40 and juicypips like this.
  9. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    The throttles on the TE449/511 are Domino throttles, the same as the ones on KTM/Bergs.
    It is possible the company has a part to suit our bikes but they don't list it in their catalog there.
    So without buying an assortment & trying them you'd never know......
  10. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    gotta dig in take risks, call motion pro, ask about throttle tubes and assemblies for certain FI systems and bikes, I bet the same set up for FI KTMs will fit the bike, a little research. they did not list the TE310 for their virtually indestructable throttle tube but they had KTMs listed...well KTM sources Domino assemblies so I guessed on which one to buy. if wrong I lose 20 bucks or whatever the cost if it works good stuff, then I call them and mention for biz it would be good name other bike applications once I found it fit the TE310
  11. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Yeah not sure about this mod but I hope it works out for you. I have the G2 quick turn and it's listed husky 4 strokes and husky 2 strokes if I remember right. As someone else mentioned, there's a cam that makes it even quicker. It's a little expensive (I'm a cheap SOB too) but really was worth while. No issues with the install and it's without a doubt built to last.

I'd ditch the rubber grommet idea more because it's abrasive. You could even find some old plastic bits people throw away like chain sliders and the such and modify them (copying current designs). Good luck to you man. I know you feel offended by robertaccio's comment but don't. This is a little different then being cheap and putting on an exhaust that isn't meant for your specific bike. This is potentially dangerous (as your disclaimer states) and I think people that see this also need to see a comment like robertaccio's before they decide what's best for them.
  12. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    You mentioned the only other mod that made such a drastic change was the PCV. I actually did my quick turn before the TXC injector/ECU was installed. I'm not a fast guy and just thought my bike lacked any hit. With the quick turn it almost felt like the bike was stumbling at points. I didn't think to much of it until I upgraded to txc stuff because it still gave me the quicker turn I was after. After the TXC stuff was installed the 250 felt more 310ish to me (shows I don't twist the throttle enough lol). Really is an awesome mod if you want more out of a bike but not so much to be nervous about trying it. It makes a bad rider ride decent :). Anyway, just wanted to mention the fueling issues because people may not be to impressed or even upset if their fuel issues aren't sorted beforehand.
  13. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    Looks like it could cause a cheap, quick hospital visit too....ok if it works, see how you go, wear plenty of padding ! :D
    robertaccio likes this.
  14. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Thanks for showing us a little cleverness and the ability to think and work things on your own. Many of us can't do that or just don't have the time from our daily lives to do anything but buy new things.

--

Ten hrs run time with no issues? Sounds good and it might be a good idea to check your work from time to time since so many people here brought up your safety as a concern. (You might to learn to ride bikes with the clutch lever covered always ...That way, in the event of a throttle hang or some other unforseen event happens, a simple pull of a finger or two and the emergency is over ...)

--

Just to keep your design work in the proper light, Boeing had to ground their latest plane ... HD is re-calling bikes now to the brake issues... GM is re-calling about 1M(?) cars over this last yr... So, do not sweat it if you need to do a version 1.1 or 2.0. No one gets it right on the first version. (Space shuttle crashed due to an 0ring that had leaked on about every mission )

Mr Ford40 and Dangermouse449 like this.
  15. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Nicely put Ray.

Yes, there may be some tweaking (hopefully no twerking!) to do, but the idea is a good simple fix.

I learnt to always cover the clutch & brake as a young rider many years ago, it has saved my on many occasions....
  16. Mr Ford40 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    YZ250F
    Dm your right that left lever is just amazing saved me many times , that front right lever mmmm got me in trouble a couple of times pulled in some times to hard and well you know the rest .
  17. 9880sts Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE511 2013
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS EC 300 2006
    i might do that this weekend.
  18. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    IMHO buy a throttle. I've had them stick for various reasons and it is not good. Not something I'm going to mess with personally. I ride tight cliffy trails and am not going to toss caution to the wind on this one
  19. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    I agree. In fact, I just put this together as a "proof of concept" but, it worked so well that I just kept it. Probably a little too cobbed together to have anyone copy. I will say that, I don't think just buying a quick turn throttle tube will work (very well). There's a throttle stop in the stock housing that will get in the way of any significant increase in throttle tube diameter. So, either some modification to the housing will be required or a full throttle replacement will be needed.

I did get around to doing an eye-ball measure of how quick my throttle is now. With the mod it's about a 1/5th throttle (quicker than 1/4, not quite a 1/6th). I wouldn't be afraid of a 1/6th throttle.

I will emphasize again, a quick throttle will transform the bike beyond what most people would think.
  20. Thrasher Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 511
    Setting aside how I did my throttle, I would be interested in the opinions of those who have gone to a quick throttle set up and if they've had similar performance results.
    LandofMotards and Motosportz like this.