Carrying a Pillion

Discussion in 'TR650' started by drooh, Nov 20, 2012.

1. drooh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250
    I am looking at buying a Tera when they arrive here in Bali. I want to carry my girlfriend on the back but am not sure how hot the exhausts get. Does anyone have experience as a passenger on the Terra ?
  2. FabOneUp Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    '14 KTM 450 XC-W '11 BMW R1200GS
    This is a great question drooh. My wife was on the bike for about 45 miles and her nylon pants were melted all over the pipes on both sides. Pants are ruined and the pipes will need to be heated and scraped with something and will probably never look the same again. So there you go...lots of heat.

The Terra in stock form is not good for a pillion. My wife is only 5'1" and her knees were cramped and she kept sliding forward and having to pull herself back. The bike still performed as well as ever, but rider comfort is not good.

Here is what you could do if you are set on the Terra. Fabricate something to lower the passenger pegs, pull the seat apart and remove some foam from the rear of the seat pad or add to the front of the passenger section, and add heat shields to the pipes. All these modifications would be very inexpensive as long as you did them all yourself.
  3. drooh Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    klx 250
    Thanks for that FabOneUp. Will look into some mods !