Carbon Air Box Cover ????

Discussion in '610/630' started by Blazes, May 28, 2014.

1. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Been looking at designing a mold and making a carbon fiber air box cover as the Husky air take is very low.

Would it be ok to make one and fit the air in take higher up with a cover that can be pushed close to seal it off should one cross deep water.
    Any constructive idea's would be appreciated

Thanks
  2. Yossarian Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Multistrada 1200 Enduro; Tiger 800XC
    I'm interested in seeing your prototype designs.
  3. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I have started and got some ideas. the only problem I think I could pick up by fitting the inlet high up is that should water perhaps get in that it will run down the oiled filter and may be sucked in --but then a gain looking at the present design this could just as well happen in the position the inlet is at present ---
  4. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Have you seen the 630 air box design ?

The inlet is high up with a snorkel that leads upwards which is good for water crossings and.
    IMO the only improvement I would like is to make the inlet hole much larger.
    I currently have a large cut out on my air box lid covered with an EHS prefilter. This allows the engine to breathe better and results in greater performance.
    A larger inlet hole would mean an appropriately modified snorkel.

Let me know if you would like pics of the 630 air box.
  5. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

DSCF6490 (800x600).jpg DSCF6495 (800x600).jpg DSCF6497 (800x600).jpg

My custom intake snorkel. Probably 40% larger. The dirt does not seem to concentrate in one location anymore, spreads more evenly across the whole filter.
    Blazes likes this.
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Kirbybikes- that's cool. What did you use to make the snorkel? Looks pretty well done- good job. Does the side panel still fit on just fine? I always thought the panel fit close up to the stock snorkel.
  7. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

The snorkle is some random piece of plastic I molded with a heat gun and lots of patience. The stock side cover fits just fine, although a little less clearance now. The new snorkel exploits all the available room under the stock plastic side cover. The depth was mainly in the space between the airbox cover and the snorkel, if I remember about 3/8 of an inch.
  8. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That would be great --we on got about 4 -- 630te's in the whole of SA --
  9. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Blazes I just did a complete airboxectomy - hate that 610 piece of shyte excuse for an air box! In fact I am now getting tired of doing the self directed recalls and after the fact R&D on this bike! Still love the bike but just seems never ending.
  10. alanB Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey Michael If you could make a carbon version of that snorkel idea I would take one straight away. :thumbsup:

As long as it doesnt affect the performance of the bike