Carbed 610 2nd gear clutch wheelie question

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Oct 10, 2016.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Playing around with wheelies, I can wheelie in 1st gear from a near stand still to a good height (sometimes balance point), sort of trials style, but mostly in second gear I have only been able to get it up a few inches and the engine bogs.

On a few occasions I have got a decent high wheelie in second gear, but the timing seems to need a lot of precision. I think I need to use more revs although the last few times I have tried it the clutch slips.

I am also assisting the wheel coming up by bouncing on the foot pegs and then sitting back down on the back edge of the seat.

So does anyone else have a carbed 610 and how does it wheelie in 2nd?
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Are you using a rev and clutch dump or just a throttle blip to get it up? Your clutch should not slip.

With dirt gearing it comes up fine for me in 2nd and I am a sub-par wheelier.

With a 16T CS sprocket it takes a bit of finesse or a nice hi rev and drop the clutch technique in 2nd.

Some people can wheelie anything with 5hp others need help.

I need help
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I used to blip the throttle but found that to blip it enough to get it near the balance point the engine doesn't respond and just hiccups then comes back.

So now I just hold the throttle open. It also gives me more time to prepare to bounce the suspension and rock back.

And yes I have a 16T and am using the correct techniques and am fairly good at wheelies since I can wheelie it in 1st which is the hardest gear to wheelie in after all!

Like I say in 1st it comes up well but 2nd seems to be something of a lottery.
  4. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Well, the motor should not hiccup.

Sounds like you wheelie better than I.

The balance point scares me. I can go 2 or 3 gears but I have to power wheelie 'till it falls.
  5. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    My wheelies are mostly limited to messing around in a lot or other off road area though because the window seems so narrow for getting the front wheel up nicely.

Re the balance point comment, I can only dip in and out of it when the wheelie is already going some, I can't hold it there and slow wheelie.

I have busted the stator casing practicing doing that last week! Time to fit the enduro wheels with the new (well part worn) AC10 on and practice on soft ground!

I want to be able to wheelie it like this guys XR400 wheelies but it just doesn't seem to be light enough

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iFtII8WuzOA

On a related note I have never hit the rev limiter on the 610, even when getting it in neutral by accident, does it even have one?
  6. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Well I figured I would update this thread. On the 16t I was getting it up more but it was still a chore so I went a tooth down on the front sprocket and it pops straight to balance point now. I think I was actually getting the hang of it on the 16t anyway but I wanted to go a tooth down for acceleration but I don't think it accelerates much faster on the 15t I think a 16t hits the spot.

Now I've just gotta learn shifting in a wheelie and rear brake control as I still don't feel too much in control when I get to the balance point. Once I get the rear brake control down then I will!