1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Carb leaking gas from float bowl drain

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by BCVisin, Mar 12, 2009.

1. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

My carb is leaking gas from the float bowl drain whenever I have the gas turned on. It's like a constant flow of gas out the bottom of the float bowl. I took the carb out, took it apart, and cleaned everything. I put it back in and still am having the issue. What is causing this? Any help is appreciated!

-Blake
  2. Swampds Husqvarna
    AA Class

Is the allen on the drain tight? :excuseme:
  3. roost Husqvarna
    B Class

If it's leaking from the hose end, then it sounds like you've either 1) too high a 'float level', or 2) a float valve that's not sealing;1)...reset float level lower, to test this idea; 2) float valves CAN fail, either in the tip OR the spring-loaded end; probably easier to just change this out...'old school' shops may have an old, pressure tester (common in snowmobile shops), which you could try...but it's faster/cheaper to just throw a new part in there. :thumbsup:
    I'm not sure what bike/carb you've got, but if it's vintage...I might suspect the older, metal type float itself for internal leakage...test on the bench; newer, plastic types seem VERY reliable.
  4. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks guys. I have a 07 TE 450. roost, what do you mean by float level, and how can I reset it lower? This is float bowl drain on the bottom of the carb.
  5. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    You can do a simple test to see if your floats have a leak. Take the floats out of the carb and submerse them in a bowl of hot water. If a little trail of air bubbles fizzes out of the floats, you have a leak.
  6. Dirty Bikes Husqvarna
    A Class

I have had this problem a few times and it was always the float sticking. Usually happens after sitting for a while. When you take it apart make sure the float is actually moving up and down and sealing when up.
  7. HUSKYnXJnWI Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09TE450
    yep- many times if the bowl was empty or drained the float will get hung up or a piece of dirt is hanging up the float valve- usually if I tap the side of the float bowl a few times it fixes the issue- sharp taps but nothing that will crack the aluminum- do it when you are in a "calm yet assertive mood" ala Caesar Millan- dog weesperer:D
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    there is some dirt in the needle / seat for the float, clean these parts. I would not readjust the float as they usually do not go out of adjustment.

"roost" gives good info above.
  9. roost Husqvarna
    B Class

That drain (bottom of carb) is attached to a brass tube, in the float bowl, which allows 'excessively high' levels of fuel to drain away, keeping the carb from overflowing into the engine...the float itself has a metal tang, which bears upon the 'spring tip' of the float valve-you can bend this tang, 'VERY SLIGHTLY', to effect a small change, to raise or lower the fuel level, in the float bowl. This is more of a common issue with two-stoke carbs (keihin PWK) than with your FCR...I would look first for 'debris', holding the float valve slighly off its seat, as Motosportz suggests...much more likely with the FCR carb.
  10. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Did you get this resolved?

I did much 'experimenting' on the jetting on my 2006 TE250. In the process I bent the float tab and gas would leak out when on the kickstand but not leak out when vertical. It occurred to me that was a good way to set the float level - adjust for it to leak when about 45 degrees from vertical. During experiments I also discovered that the float level does affect jetting a bit, something to keep in mind when searching for 'perfect' jetting.

Here is another way to see how the float level is set - flip up the bottom drain tube and observe the height:

[IMG]
  11. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

You know, I am still battling with this problem. I took apart the cab and took the floats out. I then shoved the shutoff needle in and held it with my finger, and blew into the line, and although it slows the flow, I can still get gas and air through. I have cleaned it out and made sure there is nothing in there to keep the valve open, but it still won't seal properly. Do I just need a new needle?

Thanks,
    Blake
  12. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    I believe the float needle & seat can be replaced, if those are worn out on such a new bike that would be quite odd. Based on what you have described I would change those parts.
  13. Riksha Husqvarna
    AA Class

14. hammer Husqvarna
    AA Class

If the float needle is ok and you have the float level set. Replace no. 37 in this diagram http://www.sudco.com/fcrmx.html I have replace these after bikes are stored for the winter they dry up.
  15. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

So I have finally decided to fix this issue. I am tired of forgetting to shut off my gas and it leaking out. I think to solve this once and for all, I should get #36, #37, and #42 off this: http://www.sudco.com/fcrmx.html

The problem I am having is that the valve seat comes in: 3.2, 3.4, 3.6, 3.8 and 4.0. What is this? What should I get?

Thanks!

-Blake
  16. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Great question Blake. I don't know.

I would probably reference the Husqvarna parts manual, available at Halls for download if you do not have it. Or call Halls, Motoxotica, Taskys, Uptite....
  17. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Ya, all I found in there was that it is number code: 8000 98272 and the name is "Valve Seat". It doesn't tell me what the difference between them is.

Thanks,

-Blake
  18. Up-tite Husqvarna
    Pro Class

# should be on the part. That is how much volume it will flow. Later George
  19. dfeckel Husqvarna
    AA Class

I had a similar problem in my '07 TE 250. It was the o-ring around the valve seat. Ordered a new one and it's fine, now. Of course, Sudco had a $30 minimum order or somesuch, so I had to get a pilot adjuster screw. Needed one, anyway.
    kickitagain likes this.
  20. BCVisin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks George! I will pull it off and take a look at it tonight. I will let you all know what I end up ordering.

-Blake