Can't Solve Dragging Clutch

Discussion in '610/630' started by Mucci, Apr 24, 2018.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Are the new springs identical ? Same height etc? This reminded me of a conversation with a friend about clutch drag on his bultaco , he would adjust the springs so the pressure plate would lift evenly . I'm not familiar with a bultaco clutch but sure I could ask him just how he made the adjustments . After rereading this post a few times and looking at the pictures that you had posted brings me back to the pressure plate . The Husky design has the flat needle bearing to spread the load and on yours the lifter goes into a ball bearing . When you put the lifter into that bearing , can you get in to tilt to the side at all in relation to your pressure plate ?
  2. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '01 TE570, '13 TE310R, '19 701 Svart
    Other Motorcycles:
    HM 1100 Evo SP, Zero FX, R65, R80
    Yes the new springs are all identical. The lifter fits very snug into the bearing. There's no play.
  3. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    And there is no play in the pressure plate bearing ?
  4. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Correct. There is much more play in the opposite side of the lifter and it's fitment into the clutch rod tube. This area is so loose it doesn't seem it was ever supposed to be a tight fit. If I squeeze the clutch lever so that the pressure plate is moved outwards I can push the pressure plate in any direction by a good 15mm (against the pressure of the springs). There's no "guide" keeping it straight.
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    can you see where the movement is coming from ? On the parts fiche that you posted there seems to be 2 number 6's , one that you circled in red and another one that looks like it would hold the bottom of the spring in place, they are also in place ?
  6. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, I made a punch mark on the outer basket and inner basket where there was minimal movement. Then I rotated the inner basket 180 degrees, reassembled and saw that the movement issue followed the inner basket. That's what led me to finding the grooves above. After filing them down I can't see a difference in the movement. It all looks pretty even.

The fiche is confusing, one because it's not the same clutch that's in my bike even though that diagram is for the same 2001 TE570. From what I can tell the OTHER clutch uses a spring-washer-bolt stack up. The washer being #16. Mine uses a spring-cup-bolt stack up where the bolt head is recessed into the spring by the cup. Those cups are the second #6 you're talking about which should ACTUALLY say #61. It's a type-o. #61 is listed on the following page as "cup".
  7. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I just found a new inner clutch hub on eBay for a "400 / 450 / 510" that looks identical. Only $35 shipped. Part number is #8000A3801. We'll see if it's the same when it shows up.
  8. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    I was looking at that thinking it was a typo and should be 61 . Good luck , hope the new inner hub solves it for you . I could be wrong but can't help but think that extra movement isn't helping your clutch release all the way hence your clutch drag .
  9. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    How's the outer basket condition? Same grooves?
  10. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    New billet unit from Surflex
    grunt628 likes this.
  11. grunt628 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqie SM610 '07
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF250R
    Any updates? Did you manage to fix the damn thing?
  12. Mucci Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That other hub I ordered above turned out to be an identical design but like 10mm deeper. So that won't work.

I haven't been able to track down a new hub anywhere. Not even from the usual guys I go to that have NOS Husqy hoards.
  13. grunt628 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqie SM610 '07
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CRF250R

That is some bad luck.