1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

cant set idle high enough 2009 SMR510

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by zupa, Jul 3, 2018.

1. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

have a 2009 SMR510

for whatever reason I cant set my idle higher than 1650-1700 on my 2009 SMR 510, even with the idle screw cranked all the way down. Idle is rough and it is sometimes stalling.

Now I did spray the rubber intake boot with starter fluid that connects the airbox to the back of the throttlebody, and the rps shot up so that is leaking around the ring clamp. Would this be something that would mess with my idle? It is not the boot connecting to the engine (this one didnt leak).

I recently rebuild the top end and I double checked the cam timing - everything is good. However when doing the top end I noticed when setting the main cam timing gear the double dots could line up at two potential TDC points ... when the piston just about reached the top and when the piston was just starting to go back down. I set it when the piston just reaching top - was this correct?

Thanks
  2. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Usually an intake leak causes a hi idle.

In any case fix the leak 1st and see what happens.

Do you have I-Beat to set the F.I.?
  3. PawPaw Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Crf450R + old CB750
    Cam chain worn?

Paw Paw
  4. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

I checked the cam chain tensioner its only at 6 clicks

The bike runs great everywhere else except idle, and it idles especially bad while hot. Bike is dying at stop signs and lights its really annoying. I thought it was a bad batch of gas so I drained tank, also checked fuel pump to make sure it was ziptied good. Then put some seafoam in a fresh tank of 93 gas. Check the coil and battery both are good.

I'm goign to pull the throttlebody and check it out next. The idle screw kinda works but when I turn it in the idle gets higher but becomes really sporadic... 1700-1850 then drops to 1400 and eventually dies.

anyone have more ideas?
  5. zupa Husqvarna
    AA Class

also forgot to mention bike has a power commander + autotune, no ibeat... I dont think I can change idle stuff with powercommander? I recently set the TPS so that is good....
  6. huskyfrk Husqvarna
    AA Class

sounds like its lean on the bottom end. PC and auto tune should have handled that. have all the above on a smr450 but it needed to b on a dyno and under a load to set it up properly. runs WAY better now.
  7. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Did you use the same thickness head gasket as the one that came off of it? Using a different thickness head gasket can change how the dots line up for cam timing. This I know.
  8. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    This is exactly how my old 450 ran when I was 1 tooth off on cam timing: it would run like a rocket with revs up, and not idle worth a shit.