1. 2 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    WR = 2st Enduro & CR = 2st Cross

All 2st Can't ignore this.....can I ?

Discussion in '2 Stroke' started by Crocus Paper, Dec 6, 2015.

1. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Scorpa 300 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
    2011 WR250 Con rod small end. Looks like corrosion. I've never been through water deep enough to suck any in. Just replacing piston and noticed this, no nasty noises or anything untoward so a bit of a suprise. Anyone else had this. Guess it's got to be replaced.

Hus con3.jpg

Hus con5.jpg
  2. Dirtdame Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    11 WR300,13 WR125,18 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    17 Beta Xtrainer
    Just a bad case of hard coating during the manufacturing process?
  3. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yeah maybe. The finish is very similar to the finish on parts of the con rod that have not been machined. Almost like it could have been over size before being machined. But surely that would have been picked up by quailty control.
  4. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    that's exactly what it looks like to me. a manufacturing defect. if it's worked for 5 years now, I would keep using it. but that's just me being cheap.
    shawbagga likes this.
  5. Cosmokenney Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '17 TX300
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FZ-09
    You sure that's not heat annealing caused by a stuck needle in the bearing race? I could see it scraping away (causing infusion of bearing material into the seat) at the material on bottom of the seat during the up stroke where there is more pressure due to compression. I'd measure the inner diameter of the seat to be sure it is round.
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    No you cannot ignore that, its caused by the bike being sat the fuel vapors are actually corrosive and condensation can cause the pitting pictured.
    My bottom end looked identical and it was fubared!

So my advise is over winter start your bike and warm her up atleast once a month more the better.
  7. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

I'm going to borrow some tools from work tommorrow and have a measure. Also will inspect bearing a bit more thoroughly. Gonna replace it anyway but just out of curiosity.
  8. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

This was a thought I had as well. It only gets ridden about 10 times a year. It has sat for 8 weeks before without being started. I do usually start it if it hasn't been ridden for a while, but on a couple of occasions I left it alone. Maybe a fortnightly start up is in order in future.
  9. Oldscool Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM125, SWM RS500R & Superdual
    It doesn't matter whether it's manufacturing defect, corrosion or just wear and tear you can't ignore it!!
    If it's wear or corrosion there's a good chance the big end will also exhibit the same thing. I can't see a manufacturing defect lasting 5years with no ill effects. My bet is its just worn out.
    Unfortunately mate your up for a conrod kit and main bearings.
  10. bulto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2002 cr 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm maico honda
    What kind of premix are you using? Thats definetly corrosion not a defect.
  11. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

The bikes only done 950 miles, so I don't think its worn out through use, but yeah, I know its got to be replaced. I think as stated above, it could be from when it has sat without being started. Will get the Mains and big end checked when its off, probly worth doing anyway while its in bits.
  12. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

40:1 Castrol racing 2T

Use castrol through out on all my bikes.
  13. letitsnow Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    CBR600F4
    Is that oil full synthetic? I have had bad luck with corrosion on motors that sit too long while using full synthetic oil.
  14. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    wow, that really does look like the rough cast parts of the rod...unreal! i would be glad it hasnt destroyed anything yet and replace it for sure.
  15. lankydoug Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    TM 300en
    It's likely from pump gas and not a defect or the blame of any certain brand of mix oil. Most pump gas breaks down in 90 days and if you introduce ethanol and some moisture it's probably closer to 30 days. Race fuel or AV100 will save you money in the long run :oldman:
  16. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    That looks exactly like the piston pin was bored off center to me. Either that or the casting was too big in the first place and the machining didn't have any material to remove on the bottom side. Corrosion doesn't make a nice clean line between corroded and not corroded like that. Can't believe that slipped through QC! Wow. Either way, that needs to be replaced. I'd say you've used up your share of luck that is hasn't caused a problem already. Get it replaced with a good part and ride on.
    justintendo likes this.
  17. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Here's another photo that shows just how similar the area in question is to the un-machined parts of the rod. Corrosion usually leaves a mark where the needle rollers were. There is absolutly no vertical 'play' with the bearing and pin fitted, which is probly why it didn't self destruct and the pin rotates freely with no roughness, bearing itself looks perfect. Havn't measured it yet. I'm starting to think this maybe manufacture error, reguardless, its going to be replaced.

Hus con4.jpg
  18. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Strange that you say its manufacturing issue, even stranger is my big end on con rod was exactly the same corrosion and yes it makes sence that its corroded where the trapped fuel drips to the lowest point so the tops and halfway up will be dry after a day standing still.

Not arguing just showing you my logic behind the therory.
    P.s. Seen it on many old barn find bikes and unless they all used the same conrod manufacturer then its corrosion not manufacturing issue.
  19. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

No, my comment hints on being undecided. I'm not dismissing corrosion from the bike standing. Its never happened on previous two strokes I've owned in similar circumstances. I've seen plenty of corroded bearings and bearing surfaces before, but in those there was at least a small ammount of roughness on rotation or play. This rotates like a new one. My logic also says corrosion, its just that this does'nt tick all the boxes for corrosion so I'm employing a bit of lateral thinking, but all comments welcome.
    juicypips and johnnyboy like this.
  20. Crocus Paper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR250
    Other Motorcycles:

Turns out you right. The con rod bearing surfaces are coated, like your cylinder. According to my local long standing husqvarna dealer (who has the engine), this coating has come off in the area of high stress.