1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Broken stator

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Misha, Jan 27, 2015.

1. Misha Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 WR 240 Canada red, WR 250 US blue
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300 Beta 250 Evo trials
    I have two 1982 Husky WR 250's, both with broken stators (yes, checked wire resistance correctly).

Can anyone recommend a way to either rewind the stators or buy just the new stator. I would like to avoid buying a complete $500 replacement ignition. All the other parts (coil, etc. are still good).

I have had these two beauties sitting around dormant for years and it's high time to use them again.
  2. SK Marls Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR400, CR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Only Huskys
    Misha,
    New and used stators from Huskydoggg.com or repair by motoplatrepair.tripod.com
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Are they Motoplat or SEM? You can look for either on eBay or place requests on this forum like I did to get some SEM ignitions to play with
  4. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    If they are Motoplat, Vance Smith can rebuild them, if they are SEM I believe I read here on Cafe Husky that there are sources for new stators to replace the originals, but I dont remember who has them.
  5. Misha Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 WR 240 Canada red, WR 250 US blue
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 300 Beta 250 Evo trials
    They are both SEM on the 1982 WR 250/240's. My WR 240 is a red Canadian bike and the WR 250 is the blue US model. I believe both are identical except the tank color and the bore diametre.

The SEM is over-molded with a plastic epoxy making it seemingly difficult to remove and rewind. Ideally, I'd like to remove the epoxy covering and try rewinding them. Aftermarket suppliers want ~$500 for a PVL replacement ignition. I guess, going that route would at least get me a more reliable ignition and better lighting, however, rewinding should also be reliable as long as I get the specs right.

I'm reluctant to purchase another SEM (even NOS) as the latest one to fail left me high and dry in an enduro. Any way to avoid spending $1000 to get both bike reliably sparking?
  6. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    On the old exposed copper wired lighting coils I rewrapped them for more wattage(kdx) for the twin headlines.

I never wrapped a stator. In the test lab we had the technology to remove and coating from the electronic parts. H P was very surprised we had this technology on the USA. I can't go into detail but we could find all the failures in the electronic components. I wanted to know why my SEM ignition failed just never got around to it.
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Usually the coil or the external CDI unit fails as many SEM stators can be used with pitbike CDIs and coils for stronger low speed spark. This is regarding the Type 2 units used on the 87 WR or Enduro models. The KE type(82-?) I am not sure if the CDI function is embedded within the coil like Motoplat as I am not sure I got everything with the engine that unit came out of (82 250WR). If the CDI function is within the coil, then they would also respond to the pitbike CDI update
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    PVLs are internal rotor ignitions with no lighting capability. If you want a lighting capable aftermarket ignition MZ-B/Powerdynamo is what you need and its a little more expensive than the PVL.
  9. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    you can find the OEM SEM if you look
    i know a shop that has one
    typically it is better to replace the stator and the rotor from my experience
    my 2 cents
  10. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Test your stator with an ohm meter. I just detailed the procedure but it was just yesterday