Broken Shifter Shaft removal .... looking for some input

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by Camano Husky, Jan 3, 2017.

1. Camano Husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 EXC / Harley Deuce
    Broke my 2008 TE250 shifter shaft and bought a replacement but I'm running into a problem with getting the shaft out past the frame. I assume I'll have to go through some or all of the steps to removing the motor in order to shift the motor enough to get the clearance needed to swap the shaft. Has anyone had to replace their shifter shaft?

Here's where she sits now: tank off, motor side cover off, & engine bolts removed. The motor has no give to slide up or forward. So do I need to go all the way and remove the chain, remove the radiator hoses, remove the exhaust, remove the EFI connection, and / or remove the swing arm in order to get enough space to shift the motor up or forward???? I'm hoping someone has the magic answer of doing one or two of these above so I can get the shaft swapped without tearing everything apart!

Attached Files:

2. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I would try removing the mounts, except the swing arm. Take the radiator mount bolts out but leave the hoses on and remove the front exhaust so you can pivot the motor on the swing arm bolt. That looks like it will give you the room to get the job done. You might consider greasing the swing arm stuff when you are done though. Let us know how it goes.
  3. Camano Husky Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 250 EXC / Harley Deuce
    Rancher1 - thanks for the advice! It worked and the shifter shaft is now replaced! thanks again for the help.
    AndrewS likes this.