1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Breaking in a new rebuilt engine

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm no pro nor claim to be. I'm willing to learn more about two strokes. I found this guy online who impresses me. Here's how he does heat cycles to break in a new rebuilt engine. I realize going out and riding it isn't working. Full throttle is a no no too soon. If you do want me to post things like this tell me. I rebuild engines to perfection why did some seeze on me. So many answers. Easy break in matters.

Ken O'Connor racing.

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=XNzDS14Lel8

When I built drag race engines we adjusted the valves, set the timing, adjusted the carb. Let it warm up to 180 degrees and it's wot for thirty seconds to seat the rings. Then dump the start up oil. Totally different break ins.
    Steve F likes this.
  2. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Fresh cool air entering the cylinder through the intake is also cooling it. The heat probe is cheap on eBay.

how do you do break in on a new engine?
  3. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    Gently and properly takes some time. Full throttle is not used for a while as it is not just the top end requiring break in. All the gears in the engine require wear in to remove scale and to better mate. Effective break in throttle is cycled low to mid under moderate load to rear wheel. I realize race bikes do not get this treat but then most of here are on our own dime and do not have an endless supply of replacement parts available.
  4. Action Jonny Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    xc250
    So many different views on this one, is there a right way and a wrong way? I do a gentle ride for 5 minutes or so, check for leaks or strange noises then just use it, but nice and steady. Someone once told me to ride like I had a box of eggs on the seat, gently on and gently off. Gradually build it up. Never had a problem.
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Thanks guys.

A funny note,

We worked in a three bay gas station. From the center bay the Danbury stock car with the flathead Ford engine we built with open exhaust blew the clock off the office wall next to the first bay. When they rev'd it up to seat the rings. My big block Chevy 396 was in the third bay farthest from the office and blew the clock off the wall. When we seated the rings. The heads were ported to the max. We rated the engines by blowing the wall clock off the wall. Lol

When we lost the Danbury fair grounds with the stock car races Connecticut really lost. Races every Saturday nite. What a motocross track that could of been.
    squid on a 300 likes this.