Break down on first ever 610 ride

Discussion in '610/630' started by Rough Rider, Sep 1, 2010.

1. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just got my almost new 610 and had break down on my very first short ride, not a good start.

The green light on the instrument panel started flashing and the bike started stuttering. All lights then went out and the bike stopped, and was dead as a door nail.

I was stuck in a precarious location where bikers have been attacked in the past, and was not a happy camper. Luckly my mate has a landcruiser and could reach me before the muggers did.

Long story short, turned out that the positive battery terminal bolt had vibrated out. I suppose it could happen on any bike, but I've never experienced this before. I hope it is not a bad omen.

To make things worse my mate who collected me had told me before I bought the Husky that I was mad. He then pointed out to me that this could never have happened to him on his XR 650 R (unfortunatley he is right there).
  2. WoodsChick Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    3 Terras, 2 `07 SM610s, `09 WB165,
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, GasGas, Suzuki, Honda
    I'm sorry you had trouble with your new 610 on your very first ride. Is it brand new or did you buy it used? Either way, it's always a good idea to go over the bike with a fine tooth comb before riding it for the first time. I used to have a Yamaha FZR400 that would sometimes experience a loose battery terminal. Loose bolts do not only happen to Husqvarnas, unfortunately; I wouldn't consider a loose bolt a breakdown or a bad omen, just poor bike preparation.

WoodsChick
  3. Flying Trash Can Sustaining Member

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 610
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1100R
    A loose battery terminal is an exceptionally easy problem to diagnose and correct.

If you’re going to be riding in remote or dangerous areas I recommend you learn the most basic trouble shooting skills.

You could have had your bike rolling in a matter of minutes instead of waiting for a ride.

Good luck and stay safe.
  4. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

"Blush" yes you are absolutly right.
  5. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

It is a second hand bike that is like new, only 2600 kms on the clock. The previous owner was anal and really looked after it well.
  6. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Yep.

Prep a new to you bike, look it over well and make sure everything is good to go. Then you already understand your bike and how it is put together and you could trouble shoot issues on the trail. Obviously a good tool kit, some zip ties, some JBweld, tire pump and patches should be on you at all times. Those are solid bikes, your buddy is wishing his honda was as cool and he did not have to kick it :D Cam chain is about the only thing to keep an eye on on those.
  7. Barterer Husqvarna
    B Class

You are fortunate to have a PO do most of the prep work for you. I think a pre-combed Husky with low miles is better than a new one (mine had a careless PO and probably a dozen missing, loose, stuck or stripped fasteners). Once you get yours all squared away, you'll have a bike almost as reliable as a Honda and twice as sexy. ;)
  8. High-Side Husqvarna
    AA Class

Then he probably had the battery out and on a charger and he forgot to tighten the battery cable when he put the battery back in. Could be the previous owner's mistake and not Husky's. :D
  9. Blazes Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Eddie Seel 634SMR works Replica -
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilla Dosodoro 2X 2009 610
    Rode with the previous owner a few times--was like riding with my Granny --even the Girls riding with rode him away---:) Must have been that he put the battery on charge and did not tighten the cables properly when putting it back --i know when he put it up for sale he never rode it again--being afraid of Murphy---Nice bike that - D.
  10. icebergstu Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300/TE610e
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR360 CT110 XR100
    This is the standard proceedure when you get a new bike especially if its a second hand bike.

[IMG]

Stu
  11. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    I'd suggest do not expose any more self-inflicted wounds to this crowd .... Good luck with UR bike :)
  12. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Mate the 610's are the pick of the real big bore DS bikes. last forever, forgiving and very capable. Now go ride the thing or I'll get the Wallabies on to you
  13. buzuki Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR300 '09
    Other Motorcycles:
    KDX200,KX125,CR250,50cc quad,
    your not alone, happens to any bike, my next door neighbours drz400 has had it happen a few times, just dodgy fitment, most likely the case was he had the battery out to charge and forgot to tighten terminal :D
  14. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Stu the one thing I had a problem with you have not addressed in your prep. The battery and terminals are still fitted to you completly disassembled bike :lol:
  15. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

The Wallabies, who are they? :doh:

I don't know if you watched last weeks game, what an epic :thumbsup:

Thanks for the confidence booster for the bike; appreciated.
  16. Rough Rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

M, thanks for that. I'm happy to see that you sorted out your vibration issues.
  17. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

No offense dude, but come on! Riding a motorcycle is one thing but it is a good idea to perform preventative maintenance (this includes the inspection and tightening of ALL fasteners, including you battery terminal bolts! If a guy is going to ride alone or with friends he or she would be alot better off to have a good understanding on basic motorcycle repair and troubleshooting to help himself or his friends. I wish you the best and NO it is not and omen. You have bought the best brand of motorcyclr there is on the planet! (In my opinion) Your buddies XR makes me laugh and the Husky is and EASY choice over that! Good luck and if you are prepared for your next ride I am sure it will be a good one.