BMW Oil Filter "Kit" Comes with Everything but Oil

Discussion in 'TR650' started by viridicyana, May 4, 2013.

1. viridicyana Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR75, VF750C Magna, CB1100, R1200RT
    Hey All,

I just swung by my friendly BMW dealership for an oil filter to do the running-in service, and was surprised to find that the filter "kit" includes both rubber o-rings and both metal crush washers along with the filter, for around $18.

Part number is 11002317015. I don't intend to keep stocks of each of these parts individually, so it was great to be able to grab everything in one small box, ready to go.
    Ken Woods likes this.
  2. Next Strada Demolitionist

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Good to know. I bought k&n and its just the filter for about $8. Hope I don't need the o-rings every time I change the filter...
  3. viridicyana Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I won't be replacing the washers or o-rings each time, either. But for those times I do . . .
  4. socalrob Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW GSA
    Few years back on a BMW forum a guy cut up both the BMW filter and a K&N filter and posted the photos.

The BMW filter had much more filter and looked more robust, enough so that I pay the extra without worry.
  5. kswaid Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    WR250R, Street Triple
    FYI, some of the pieces in that kit do not fit the TR650. The filter access door gasket and drain bolt crush washer for the 650GS are the same, but no washer is included that fits the oil line drain bolt.
  6. viridicyana Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    I didn't actually change the crush washers this time, but the small washer in the kit sure looks like it's the right size for the oil line drain bolt. Oh well.
  7. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    I dont have a Husky or BMW dealer anywhere near me.
    Has anyone successfully used one of these kits ordered online?

That 11002317015 part number keeps coming up for the older (pre 2000) F series bikes.
    The newer bikes kits reference a 11117658311 part number
  8. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    K & N 151
  9. Ogre_fl Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Tiger 1050
    Thanks,
    That did come up on my search as well, but passed assuming it was just the filter.
    Does that include the crush washers & O-ring too?
  10. rww Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    tr650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati, Cagiva Kaw Zuki Honda
    No....... but I have been reusing both once....... and ordered spares. got the filters from street side auto for $4
  11. MadDogTR Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes, many.
    My BMW dealer had never heard of the complete oil change kit for my 2005 BMW F650GS. So when I got the TR650 I decided to try again. Nope, they still haven't heard about one.
  12. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I bought BMW part # 11 11 7 658 311 for my first service this weekend. Looks like it has filter, o-ring, and several crush washers. I'll let you know how it works when I get around to using it.
  13. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Did my first oil service. Went rather smoothly. Thanks to all those that did this before me. :cheers:

The BMW kit #11117658311 has the right filter, larger washer, and o-ring. I can confirm, however, that none of the other 3 smaller washers will fit the tank drain plug. There's 1 that is close, but the inner diameter is too small. Here's a picture of the old parts, and the new parts that come in the kit, and all the hand tools I needed for the job. Don't forget to rotate the hose clamp next to the tank drain plug if you haven't yet.

2013-07-19 at 18-47-31.jpg

And my wife had a brilliant idea for diverting oil that comes out of the filter housing. Glad Press'n Seal. It worked fabulously.

2013-07-19 at 18-38-45.jpg
    PaulC, Moff69, kjackbrown and 4 others like this.