1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Blown Head Gasket SMR 511

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by philfy20, Feb 28, 2013.

1. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    Hi all,

Just got some bad news this morning when I took my bike in to get checked out when I noticed fluid coming out of the radiator excess pipe last week. After them doing a few checks they have said it is a blown head gasket!!
    Has anyone else had any issues like this the bike has just done 2,750 Km's and is only used for short trips to and from work. I don't thrash it and short shift 98% of the time. The bike is still under warranty which is lucky however I am worried that this is going to become a on going issue and when the warranty is up which is in a year I am going to be screwed.
  2. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TE 450 - last of the ITA motors
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    A head bolt or 2 coming loose can cause a head gasket to leak. After you get this repair done, craft a plan to try and get the dealer to check the head bolt torque after 1-2000 Kms, otherwise, you could do it.
  3. djdougiedoug Husqvarna
    A Class

Done 5k on mine, no problems with gaskets. Think you have just been unlucky. As a rule I think this engine is more reliable than the 510
  4. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    What were the symptoms apart from some overflow out the radiators?
  5. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    There were no other major signs apart from excessive heat coming off from engine however that was only on irregular occasions and also the fan kicking in soon as i was stopped for more than 5 seconds even when the temperature was only around the 20-25 degree mark. Normally there are other signs like white smoke out the exhaust, water in the oil or drop in power however I have had none of these. The most annoying part was I went to the dealer as soon as it started happening which was a week and a bit before I got the bad news and they just said sounds like it a needs a bit of coolant topped and and maybe a new radiator cap.
  6. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Has your bike been repaired yet ? What kind of radiator fluid were you using ?
  7. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    Currently it is in pieces at the dealer waiting for parts I am hoping to go in sometime this week and get a few photos of the gasket. I was just using the stock radiator fluid which from what every is saying is shit so I have got them to do a full flush and put some decent coolant in their. Will keep you posted on any other updates
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  8. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    :thumbsup:
  9. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    Alright update from dealer. Haven't been able to go in as of yet however they have said the head gasket didn't blow it was leaking from a twisted head and has had to be machined to be fixed. They also said the stock radiator was terrible and has been flushed and ordered new water pump and pump gasket. Seeing that they are flushing the coolant im going to get the after market red radiator tubes. Also said the stock radiator cap is rubbish and have ordered a better after market one.
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  10. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    Mine sure looked like a blown head gasket too !
  11. ascribner Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 SMR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2011 Daytona 675, 2009 KTM 200SX
    How old is this bike? I just bought a brand new one and I hope to avoid these things!
    Rearwheelin likes this.
  12. Rearwheelin Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 XCW 300
    XF coolant and a boil over reservoir !
  13. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    less than 10 months old and has just done over 2,500km's. All riding has just been road mostly quick 15 minute trips to and from work. I think I have had this worst luck with this bike :banghead:
  14. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Longfellow seems to have been describing Huskys as well as his daughter when he wrote,
    ".....When she was good,
    She was very good indeed,
    But when she was bad she was horrid."
    philfy20 and ascribner like this.
  15. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    Update on the bike. Dealer has put bike back together however they checked value clearance and it is way off. Clearance on the exhaust valves are fine however the inlets valves are way off. Clearance should be 0.1mm to 0.15mm however it is 1.25mm Anyone have any suggestions as the dealer has no clue have even the got the husky dealer of Australia tech to have a look at it and doesn't have a clue. They are throwing up the suggestion of a brand new cylinder head!!!

Any help will be greatly appreciated as my bike has been out of action now for 6 weeks and just want to be able to ride again.
  16. OlderHuskyRider Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kwaka KLE, HD FXDWG
    Was the bike running when you took it to the dealer? Was it running normally?
  17. philfy20 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511 2011
    Yes it was running however did feel under power when you opened the throttle
  18. Tom H Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 511
    I just got back from the dealership with the same problem. At high revs it pushes oil through the gasket into the coolant, which then pressurises it, pushing it out of the overflow. I didn't notice any loss in power and there were no other symptoms. It's done 7300kms, I've changed the coolant three times and the oil five times, as well as it having its normal services. Apparently its a common problem with heads not being machined properly at the factory.

Having taken the engine out previously to fix the torque limiter, I am hoping that they can fix the problem without taking it out. If they do, I can't afford the labour and will have to take it out myself, again. Which was a nightmare and took all weekend.

Man, I'm having the worst luck with this bike.
  19. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    You should be able to pull the head without removing the engine.