1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

BlackZ's Husqvarna CR 500 Silver Streak 1982.5

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by BlackZ, Jul 18, 2021.

1. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    CR Silver Streak 500cc 1982.5

I don't know, someone commented that it's from newer was it 4-stroke HVA where it is from. Much better than original this time period HVA kicker.
  2. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Yesterday I took whole day time to learn to live with Silver Streak :D This was just my 4th time when riding this SS. Before trip to woods and trails, I checked tire pressures. I noticed that I had rear tyre pressure below 0.5bar, to easy up riding I increased pressure a bit above 1.0bar. This might have been one thing that made traction last times a bit challenging, normally I use something like 0.8bar in terrains where I ride.

Yesterday I had only one target, to learn to control Silver Streak powerband and handling. And I drove total several hours with it (yes, I was tired as hell after that :D) in all kinds of terrains/situtation like woods, trails, climbing, small jumps, loose sand, dirt roads, challenging slow places, 4th speed wide open throttle top speed, everything was tried where I usually take my bikes! :thumbsup: Just to learn, learn and learn.

And pretty fast I started to feel that I can control this megalodon as is, no need to "smoothen" anything at all. Actually I started to really love this SS powerband and how it handles as an classic dirt bike. And it doesn't feel anymore unpredictable. Powerband is actually very linear without any surprises or "peaks". You just need to remember all the time throttle control, there is that much power that it will "kill you" if you forget it. But when you learn how to use it and take full advantage of it, holy shit it is fun :cheers: Top end is pretty basic what also modern 250cc 2-stroke can almost do, but low to mid powerband is something unbelievable, when you learn to use it, anything less doesn't do for you anymore :D

At first this was just to me, who is not professional dirt bike rider, a bit too much after years with 250cc 2-stroke. I learned with more modern 250cc 2-stroke dirt bike, that I can use full throttle pretty much always when I want to play with it and I was able to control situation. I tried too fast to use all power what is available. My throttle usage was completely wrong for 500cc, because with 500, there is already so much power that you just can't open it fully always when you want. So from scared to death situation I'm now feeling full love towards my 500 Silver Streak :cheers: Also this 4-speed doesn't feel anymore uncomfortable, actually it is also great, so much torque that it doesn't need constant up and down shifting :D

So target was achieved and now we are getting along with my Silver Streak :cheers: We just needed some quality time together. But I still know, that this megalodon wins me every time if I forget to respect it's capabilities.

Attached Files:

Krudd likes this.
  3. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Today I changed spark plug, my target is to go for a ride on upcoming weekend :cheers: Old didn't look bad, only black colored but nothing special on it. I bought similar spark plug, it was NGK B9ES. New spark plug gap was around 0.70mm (0.028 inch). I measured old spark plug, gap was 0.80mm (0.032 inch). Is that new spark plug gap good, so 0.70mm (0.028 inch)..? :rolleyes: It's slightly smaller than old one had. It did work well even with this wider gap. I just decided to leave new one as it was, because on my Silver Streak is still Motoplat ignition, and smaller gap should help it start better. But I just read, that some people are using very small spark plug gap with these, like 0.50-0.60mm (0.020-0.024), is it preferred or even needed? Easy to adjust, but always what smaller gap you are using, you will loose some spark efficiency, even it sparks easier with smaller gap, spark is weaker. So what is best compromise? :popcorn:

Same time when I had spark plug off, I took my cable camera and looked how piston looks. It looked almost flawless, not even dirty. You could even see those circles on top of the piston. And there was also number 86.92, I guess those are piston size numbers. Shouldn't stock size be 86.00mm? This one has piston size 86.92, so is it then first over size? Was it so, that last size will be 87.50mm?
  4. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    On Saturday we spent whole day with Silver Streak, riding in all kinds of terrains and it was so fun once again :cheers: Really loving this bike. Original frame and rear swing is also now on powder painting, when riding season is over I'll start to swap all parts to original restored frame. I have also another original Silver Streak frame that is already fixed and painted at the same time with this other original frame, this other one I can sell if someone is interested.

SS started very well during Saturday. It was 3rd real kick with cold engine and always first kick when engine was warm. I'm starting to learn how to start it and no kick backs happened, of course new spark plug could help situation also. This one has that Motoplat ignition and 44mm Mikuni still, so I think it starts pretty well based on that.

[IMG]

Here is also short start up video and little warm up. Sorry, I didn't think and I spoke Finnish that is my native language, you won't understand any word but don't worry, I didn't say anything important :lol:

ajcmbrown likes this.
  5. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Yes.. that looks like normal big bore Husky starting procedure, bike sounds like it's running good :thumbsup:
    BlackZ likes this.
  6. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

It runs extremely good :cheers: Here in Finland is winter coming soon, will be long time to wait next summer. I also got Honda CR480R 1983, that is great bike also :thumbsup: But not as brutal as my SS is :D
  7. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Original restored frame swapped to my Silver Streak :cheers: Here it is teared down to parts in first picture, on second picture new frame waits to be assembled.

2021-12-17-21-02-44-074.jpg

2021-12-19-14-38-02-926.jpg
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  8. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Some pictures from build.

2022-01-02-22-00-57-869.jpg

2022-01-02-21-59-31-626.jpg
  9. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    And otherwise ready, only new gold anodized OEM 17" rear wheel with new tire and new spokes are missing :thumbsup:

2022-01-02-22-04-02-321.jpg

2022-01-02-22-12-53-976.jpg
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  10. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    Looks great :thumbsup:

what year Charger is that? Can't be to many of those in Finland
    ajcmbrown and BlackZ like this.
  11. BlackZ Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

It is 1969 R/T Charger with 440cid Magnum engine, now when this Silver Streak was finished, Charger will get GMC 6-71 blower in next few months :D I think we have Mopar B-bodies pretty much here in Finland considering how small country this is. I believe, here is -68-70 Chargers something like 100-150 total. Many times people from USA, buys these Mopar B-bodies here, because here is price level lower than in USA.