1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Bing Carb Update

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Vinskord, Aug 5, 2021.

1. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    For those still using the Bing 54 - here is a modification the aviation community is using to minimize wear on the Jet Needle. Looks as though it might be a worthwhile upgrade.

Bing Mod - Copy.jpg bing-54-carb-re-assembly-1 - Copy.jpg
  2. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    The problem that we came across is that the carb is on such an angle that the needle is "falling" forward all the time..and it wears out the needle jet..making it oval and therefore "bigger"..richer.. if the carb was more straight up and down..no problem..
  3. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I can see that happening, especially since a Bing needle is steel and the needle jet is brass. Interesting that the Mikuni needle is aluminum, maybe offering less wear?

I've been using the plastic cup in my Bings for years and really like 'em. The o-ring under the cup is something I started doing, using a tiny washer though. I found it added enough pressure to the needle so it would remain straight when inserting the slide into the slanted carb, and the needle threads into the needle jet without provocation. Provoking a grumpy motorcycle mechanic can end with a broken part.