Been Kicking For A Week Now - Still No Start!! 01 Te570

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by Franz28, Nov 29, 2020.

1. Franz28 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te570 2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    vfr750,xr500,zxr400,vulcan750, 900
    Hi guys - first post here!
    So i bought a 01 TE 570 a few yrs back and its been standing in storage overseas. Ive been working on it past week - now down to either the auto decomp mechanism (im new to that) and/or a carb issue (which i doubt). I do own a shop and am a full time mechanic and been working on my bikes for 15 years, so fairly competent but this is my first dirt bike in 30 years :)

I have glued in the magnets which were out of sync- stripped and cleaned carb.. i have strong blue spark too but for some reason she just wont start!! now and then I get a "whirrr" or a pop or a kick back. Last week she ran once for 30s (had no fuel source - just a hose). but she was def rich (sticking needle which i fixed).. as good and clean as everything else is i know she has to start ALOT easier!

Been seeing mixed methods on starting cold (its about 70-80 degrees here - not very cold either).. Ive tried (and will try more starting methods) - but wondering if the auto decomp can cause starting issues? I saw that when I had the valve cover off - the manual doesnt cover it, can someone describe how to set it up/verify its working correctly?

I have had the kicker thru my tall work boot on two occasions, so much so that im now quite afraid of this thing - seriously!!
  2. Franz28 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te570 2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    is it possible to remove the auto decomp and see how/if it runs any better and use the manual lever?
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC
    if anything doesn't start after 5 kicks, you are either in it for the exercise or the masochism of mechanical abuse
    you said it did run for a couple minutes but was rich, well after kicking for a while, have you pulled the plug to check it?
    assume nothing, cleaning a carb then having it run rich is an indicator there is something missed in the carb
    start from scratch and you will likely figure this out
  4. Franz28 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    te570 2001
    Other Motorcycles:
    well seems i was testing with 2 stroke oil! anyway - this thing is just impossible to start again.. wondering if the auto decomp system is malfunctioning