1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

auto clutch drum

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dumpbear, Jun 14, 2018.

1. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Hey auto guys has anyone had a clutch drum resurfaced? I was thinking welding the inside and then have it turned what do you think or am i all wet:excuseme: Thanks in advance.
    Tom
  2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Tom,
    The first clutch drum or the main shaft drum? The reason I ask is if it is the 1st clutch drum you would need to keep the heat from welding away from the bearing surface. If it is the 360 auto then you can just unscrew the center hub from the drum and on the main shaft press the shaft out of the drum prior to welding. I think it would be worth a try if the cost is not much as you could probably find a good used drum for a reasonable cost.

Marty
  3. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    The clutch drums are not made of anything fancy. The OEM ones have some form of surface hardening treatment but you can machine the bolt on ones up from mild steel quite successfully. We don’t ride these old bikes enough to worry about how long they will last so surface hardening is not worth bothering about.

Welding is definitely an option for bolt on drums but it will distort the drum and you will need to machine it obviously to make sure i. Give it a try and let us know how it turns out. Possibly be cheaper to get one machined from scratch though. For drums with the gear integral the welding heat may be an issue for the gear hardening.
  4. dumpbear Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360wr burl rep/74works bike/76360wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    goldwing
    Thanks Marty an Pez it is the primary drum i wondered about the heat distorting it it would probably cheaper to by a good used one i might take it to a machine shop just to get a price on having one made no harm in that.
    Tom