Anyone do a valve adjustment on their 630?

Discussion in '610/630' started by shoolsema, Sep 7, 2011.

1. shoolsema Husqvarna
    AA Class

I did a search and didn't come up with much? Any body check their valves at 600miles (1000km)? Was there any movement? did they tighten up?
    I assume most guys are taking there bikes to the dealer for the 1st valve set, but i figured a few guys may have done it themselves.
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Did mine recently, ~1200 miles, 2 were a bit loose and clattery (~0.002 over spec) and 2 were dead on. No mushrooming yet...
  3. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    6000 miles is where I first had to add thicker shims.

There's a valve check video here that Coffee put up that explains it pretty well. It's for a different model Husky, but is done pretty much the same way.

If you want a written explanation and valve clearance specs, hit me up via PM for a shop manual, if you haven't done so already.
    bpowa likes this.
  4. boogieman065 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Shims? So the 630 doesn't use the screw valve adjusters? They use shims?
  5. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Yep, 3/8" diameter (9.5mm) in the ~2mm thick range.

You're thinking of adjusters like the 510? That's a single cam engine and uses actual rockers.
    The lifters on the 630 resemble rockers, but the cams are directly over the valves.

[IMG]

Really easy to change though. Pop off a spring clip, slide the lifter over, pop out the shim and replace. None of that pull-both-cams, bucket-over-shim crap...
  6. ContraHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

And...aren't the shims a pretty standard size/type that are available for some of the Japanese bikes...? IOW...they're cheap and plentiful.
  7. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    I believe some Yamahas use the same size shims. Single shims from Husky run in the $10-$12 range :rolleyes:
  8. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Rockers/adjusters on a 510 for comparison:
    [IMG]
  9. shoolsema Husqvarna
    AA Class

This website is great. Thanks for the quick replies. Jtemple, i already got the shop manual from you, Thank you. I have 400miles on the bike so far. Doesn't sound like i need to be too paranoid about setting the valves at exactly 600miles. You guys had to add thicker shims? Must be the nature of this head? On my husabergs the valves always wore into the seat and thus "TIGHTENED" up over time.
  10. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Just don't drop a shim in there. You'll spend some time fishing it out. Don't ask me how I know. :D
  11. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    I had to add thicker shims.
  12. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Oh, I know, I had to break out a short piece of safety wire on one of them...

And yeah, I needed thicker shims too. My left EX gap was 0.002" over with a 2.2mm shim, and the left IN gap was 0.002" over with a 2.0mm shim. I swapped the EX shim to the IN, which put it back in spec, and now I'm waiting on a 2.3mm shim to show up in the mail tomorrow from my dealer.
  13. LRPct Husqvarna
    AA Class

ummm yeah... Isnt that a 610 you're talking bout with the screw adjusters??? :confused:
  14. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Maybe so, never dove into a 510 or 610. I was told that pic was from a 510, could be wrong or a typo...
  15. strongleftleg Husqvarna
    AA Class

My old 07 610 also had the valves get looser with wear. It was explained to me that the extra lash was caused by the valve train wearing, not the valves themselves or the seats. But the 630 has a different valvetrain so I dunno.
  16. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Seems to me that valve wear would be mostly due to cam and rocker wear in the 630. I'm curious about what parts need replacing once you can't shim the valves any more.
  17. willie Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
  18. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

This photo is from a 610.
  19. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Oh boy... :) I was planning on doing my first check at 1,000 miles (1600 km.) I am now at about 900 miles and have a ride planned for this Saturday (probably about an 80 mile ride)- any real harm in continuing to ride a bit more? All sounds as it has, and the bike is running well. I'd better order a shim kit- thanks for the link.

Thanks!

Eric
  20. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    When the valves get loose, they just don't open up as far. You won't do any permanent damage by letting them go a little. You may lose a little performance, but I doubt it'll even be noticeable.