1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Any particular years/models where sheared keys are more common?

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Force10, Mar 22, 2017.

1. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    After looking up stuff on Husky's, I did notice this has been a problem that doesn't seem to be as popular on other makes. I own my first Husky (2005 TC 250) and I'm wondering if this is something that is common with this model?

Is it more common when they went to the x-lite models?

I actually haven't had a chance to ride my bike yet as it has a no spark issue that happened the week after I bought it back in Feb. :mad:

Coincidently, when you look up Husqvarna sheared flywheel keys...their chainsaws seem to suffer from the same issue.

Thoughts?
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    yes, I believe you're right- shearing seems to be more of an early x-lite problem then other models. It seems to me the the 2011-12's suffer more than their fair share (maybe the '10 TC250 too? the first xlite) of woodruff key problems.

If this is true, it might be a combo of faster engine acceleration coupled with some crank/flywheel tapers that aren't quiet mated. It also seems very fixable.

Do you suspect that your no-spark is a flywheel problem? I assume it ran at one time. Did you have a kickback or flame-out or some kinda engine "event" that makes you think "sheared key"?

Bad coil grounds (or bad coils) seem to be a bigger problem with your era bike. Check the wiring (and kill button too).

good luck.
  3. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    I hope it's not a sheared key!

I didn't have a flame out and the bike is e-start only. It was running when I bought it and it started right up cold a couple times after. Same procedure, pull the choke out...two twists on the throttle, push the button and it would start in 1 second. I never got the chance to put in the dirt...just putt it up and down my street.

The next weekend I tried the same procedure to show the bike to a friend...and it wouldn't start right away. I thought I maybe flooded it and assumed it was a fuel problem, so kept trying different choke, twists, flooding attempts. It fired eventually...and I rode up the street for a few minutes and that's the last time it ran. I finally checked spark when I was having troubles the next time...and realized it was an ignition issue.

I'm not a great mechanic, but will do work that I can do that doesn't require special tools (flywheel puller etc.). I picked up a multimeter, even though I haven't used one before, I started checking what I could. The coil seemed ok when checking it to itself and to the end of the plug wire. The exciter coil on the stator was double what the manual spec'd out. Mine was reading 24.5, manual says it should be 12.7. I disconnected the eyelet for the kill switch from the coil and it still wasn't sparking. New plug, battery, fuses etc...still nothing. That's the extent of my abilities so I dropped it off at a mechanic. He's a one man show...but he's a great mechanic and bikes are stacking up in his shop. I had to wait a week just to get my bike in there and in the que. Not too many options for folks to work on Huskys around here...most just told me no over the phone, didn't even want to try.

Sorry about my rambling on here off topic...but if it's a sheared key it sounds like it will get expensive. :(
  4. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Actually, a sheared key would be about the cheapest (parts-wise).

it does sound like you're not getting spark. Let us know what your mechanic comes up with.

btw, next time you flood it (raw gas smell at the end of the exhaust) forget trying to choke it or twist the throttle for an accelerator pump squirt... you're just adding more gas to a too-much-gas problem. You want more air- full throttle, no choke for a few revolutions at least.
  5. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

force what is your location ?
  6. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    I'm in CA...SF Bay Area.
  7. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

The 2005 models don't shear keys.

They are reliable and easy to check valve clearance.

They did have a tendency to rupture the coolant hoses, especially the radiator cross over.

If you don't overheat them and run them with the valves too tight they will run forever.

Check your valve clearance since you just got it and remove clean and grease all electrical connections, especially the grounds.
  8. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Thank you R_Little...that's some reassurance I really needed. I've been feeling pretty blue since I bought the bike thinking I made a mistake since it hasn't been running for over a month now. If it needs a stator it seems there aren't really any in North America to be had for these older Husky's. I will cross that bridge when I get to it.

:)
  9. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    There seems to be about 3 ignition pickups that a large chunk of dirt bikes use. And if yours is like one of these, you can buy them (eg eBay) individually and put/solder them in to the existing stator if they're one unit. $20-50 IIRC. maybe.

If you don't have a value to test to, a 100ohms is a common figure. Actually, just the fact that you have continuity is a good indicator- if you do. Your reading of 12.7 ohms instead of 24.5 ohms is probably nothing to worry about. or it's metal on the pickup. or your pickup is shorted.

has your mechanic said anything yet?
  10. Force10 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2005 TC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 CRF250R
    Not yet unfortunately. I called him on Thursday and he said I'm in the que for this week. :(

I appreciate the helpful tips that I'm getting here though...thanks!
  11. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Ebay is your friend for stator and IGN parts.

All 250 310 450 and 510 should work 2004-2009
  12. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Force10-
    whadda hear from your mechanic? let us know!

good luck.