1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

Another TE310 starter issue.

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by DMan Sparky, May 5, 2019.

1. DMan Sparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz-250
    Hi guys, sorry but I can't get my head around this issue. My 2012 TE310 will not start on the button from the on-board battery. If I jump it from the battery in my diesel truck it fires right up first crank. I have tried multiple bike batteries and just got a 240 CCA lithium, it started the bike once when cold, but not again. I'm too short to kick start effectively but can start with button and kick every time. It was struggling for a few months so I pulled the starter apart and cleaned and lubed and tested everything. It seems fine. I've just replaced the spragg as it was jammed. Everything seems to move as it should, it just doesn't seem to have enough electrical grunt. WTF?
    Also, is there a problem with button and kick at the same time?
    Thanks for any help.
  2. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    There are MANY threads on this. Two things my dealer did was set the exhaust valve a little tight ( I think...005)and reset the TPS via I-Beat software. My ‘12 runs good but has the 12 pt injector and TXC ECU. I’m in Mammoth Lakes, CA at 8000 ft and I make some iBeat adjustments as it’s rich relative to sea level in Huntington Beach

714 889-1576 and you can get George Erl to give you a quick explanation
    8-5 M-Sat. In Santa Ana Ca
    DMan Sparky likes this.
  3. DMan Sparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz-250
    Thanks glanston, I've read all the posts I could find about starting. My exhaust valves are at 0.15mm (006"). I guess what you are telling me is that the little motorcycle battery can't power the starter to turn over the engine with a tight exhaust valve but a big car battery can. That is certainly the effect it's having.
    My bike has the 12 hole and TXC ECU also. They were throwing them in here in Aus when I bought it new. It runs great once running.
    You're most likely right, because it only started playing up after I got the dealer to freshen the top end at 200 hours.
  4. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    He also put a better ground connection on another bike that seemed to improve the battery/starter performance. My Yuasa (about 3-4 years old minimum, turns over ok, not like a lithium but enough. George may have modified the decompressor too.
  5. DMan Sparky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2012
    Other Motorcycles:
    Drz-250
    glangston you where spot on with the exhaust valve. The one my auto-decomp works on was between 0.20 and 0.25mm. Swapped out the 1.7mm shim for a 1.8 and now it turns over good on the button and easier to kick start too.
    Thankyou sir.
    Trenchcoat85 and Johnrg like this.
  6. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS