1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

another one saved !

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by mudmonkey, Sep 13, 2016.

1. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I rekon with modern disc brakes, these older bikes are better to ride than the moderns. a mate has a 2015 husky 300 and a 84 twin shock 400. he consistently does 16 minute loops on his modern and on the 400 he knocked1.5 minutes off it. he doesn't know why. its possibly due to the easy riding nature of the 400. less fussy than the new bikes or it could be the drum brakes, if you cant stop you will go faster!
    Eric The Leg and 2premo like this.
  2. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    Ok , William. I'll tell that one to my old lady and see how well that goes. lol
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    i go back and forth with this in my mind...the newer bikes have such bad ergonomics/seats and are real twitchy. i really do like the 80s swedes for ultimate fun! the 87-88 front disc i can live with..the others are lacking in braking..
    86 400 XC likes this.
  4. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    I WONDER IF ANYBUDDYS EVER TRIED TO FIX THAT WITH A DIFFERENT M/C OR A HI ZOOT HOSE???
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    the swedes at least already have a ss braided line. i have a swede line on my italian 95...that one was plastic..
  6. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

"My kingdom for a Husky 430".
    Nietzsche
  7. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Sooo, about this kingdom.....
    NCSteve likes this.
  8. slosh Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 wr 430, 84 wr 500, 86 cr 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    93 Husqvarna wr250, 99 Suzuki rmx250

I think the pipe is a standout feature, be a shame to bash it up really! So does that mean the silencer from a kx 500 wouldn't be a bolt on fit for regular pipes as I was hoping for?
  9. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Wow, your pipe is sweet! I never thought it was something you made yourself. I personally think the silencer looks like it is from the wrong era for the bike. I still love the bike though.
  10. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I like it especially since it it how I had planned to evolve my 430WR build since I got a 1983 WR frame from Huskydoggg about 4 years ago and have the 82 430WR engine almost ready to assemble. I like the balanced look with the XC/CR suspension as I have that on my 84 250WR now. I feel the black rims are a nice modern touch to a classic machine being ridden in a modern environment. I will admit the small ride I took on my 400WRX in my yard to test the clutch work I completed left me feeling somewhat unsettled that the steering seemed to be over-responsive. I knew I would be able to adjust to it as I have the same steering response on my 2004 Road Star Midnight after putting a stiffer straight wound rear shock spring. I had set up to carry the extra weight of the passenger that no longer wants to ride along.
  11. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    quite often you see mags do a then and now test with some oldbike vs a new one and they shoot the old bike right from the start. but the mags are playing in the game and cant really afford to tell their main feeder that their product is worse than 30 years ago.

grafting a 2005+ set of discs shouldn't be too hard and its been on my mind for a while so I can go ride with a group of hard arses who delight in the steepest hills and deepest rivers. the drums and my arthritic fingers cant quite cope with that but the rest of the bike is fine.

having a c/o set of discs would be ideal.

a mate and I are thinking of hitting one of Australia's premier desert racers on the twin shock 400's we have next year just too see how we go. there is a prologue to sort your start position and we thought we would blow that and start from dead last and see how far up the line we get. its a great idea but since ive hurt me back and he is now fifoing so it may not come to pass.

I know we would not be last as its a "once a year" racers event for most of the starters so id expect we would end up mid pack at the end of the serious racers. would turn a few heads tho
  12. mudmonkey Husqvarna
    AA Class

the kx silencer has two mounting holes about 125mm apart, i fabricated a alloy plate to line up with these then fit the original frame mounting point. rubber mounted of course :D
    the diameter of the 'in' on the silencer is different to the stock husky silencer, also the kx has a bend in the 'in' pipe, basically i cut the 'in' pipe off & fabricated to fit the front pipe.

oldbikedude, yes i agree the silencer does look a little out of place, its what i had to hand at the time, i have a period answer silencer on my 82 wr430, that looks better i guess...
    just didn't want the bike too noisy & risk being noise checked at an event & being excluded :eek:
  13. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That makes perfect sense to me mudmonkey. :thumbsup:
  14. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    Bike looks awesome in my book! I'm on the +black rims side, adds a certain modern look without making a material change to the form and function of the bike.
  15. Donk Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Wr250 1982
    What rear Fender is that ? Acerbis baja ? Looks Good ! /A
  16. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349