Alternate Husky iBeat EFI diaganostic tool?

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by seymore, Dec 31, 2008.

1. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have been looking into finding a lower cost alternate to Husky's iBeat diagnostic tool.

What would the demand be and what function does it initially need to do?

Would being able to adjust the FB1 fuel curve and setting the TPS (throttle position sensor) be a good enough with the possibility of future upgrades with more features?

What do you think?
  2. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    Ya I'm in. :thumbsup: Anythings better than the $650 plus from Husky!
  3. davep01 Husqvarna
    B Class

Seymore,
    I understand from a tech who recently attended a training course at Husqvarna Italy that there is a new version of Ibeat coming for 09 bikes that allows you to adjust all 3 feedback points and therefore allows you far more flexibility across the whole rev range.

Whether there will be a software update for 08s to make them compatible I don't know but you may wish to consider this before commiting to your project.

Dave
  4. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Doesn't seem like a lot of interest yet.
    Maybe its a holiday thing or is everyone's TE just running great?

Davep01- Thanks for the input.
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold

Really tough to say. Holidays do affect peoples time.

I still have not finished moving threads like this - soon!
  6. Pete Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE300
    is the cable anything special and specific to husky? Or a simple serial type cable?
  7. four50rider Husqvarna
    A Class

+1 On interest

A simple USB cable would useful, if not a Serial to USB would work just as well.
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome to Cafe Husky :thumbsup: Feel free to introduce yourself in the welcome thread
    http://www.cafehusky.com/forums/showthread.php?p=15189#post15189

Believe the iBeat cable uses a RS232 serial connection (D9 on back of computer) and it is getting difficult to find those computers these days esp the obvious choice - lap top computer. Of course there are probably USB to D9 serial cables around it seems a bit silly to do RS232 at all.

The real issue with the iBeat or anything like it of course is the ongoing issue of keeping up with the factory when they make changes, either annual or slip streaming mid year. Changes like adding/subtracting variables, renaming variables, etc.
  9. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The iBeat cable is special. On one end it's a RS232 9 pin conneector on the other end is a weather proof automotive type connector that plugs into a mating connector behind the headlight. The big mystery is a black molded solid epoxy block in the middle of the cable with a green led. I don't think you could take one apart without destroying it.

I think RS232 is still used often since it doesn't require special software drive like USB does. Also USB to RS232 adapters are available for about $40.
  10. ramz Husqvarna
    B Class

Some iBeat info on my TE610 tuning page: TE610 Tuning

The Keyspan USB/serial adapter works fine.
  11. darkmatter Husqvarna
    B Class

I was thinking the cable plugs into the receptacle thats dangling inside the airbox. (if not, then what is that thing I wonder?)

(i wasn't aware of one being behind the headlight)

(do you know for sure that the ibeat cable plugs in behind the headlight?)
  12. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

The diagnostic connector on a TE08 450/510 is a black 6 position connector with a dummy plug installed to keep it sealed behind the headlight.

I'm not sure about the connector near the air box. Is it for taillights or flasher module? What type of bike are talking about?
  13. davep01 Husqvarna
    B Class

Ibeat plugs into socket behind headlight, there is a spare socket in airbox area which is a plug for a tilt sensor, used on SM450/510 to shut off fuel injection if the bike falls over.

There are two different lots of Mikuni software. One is Ibeat as we know it (which is due to be updated next month), the other software is the reflash program which is used to update the maps but still uses the original Ibeat cable.
  14. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Any alternate to the iBeat cable will need alternate software as well. The IBeat software is copyrighted and very clearly marked not to be copied.

I hope to have good news soon about the feasibility of have another choice to iBeat.
  15. four50rider Husqvarna
    A Class

16. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

17. TEHusky Husqvarna
    A Class

I definately have an interest in buying something, anything, to tune/enhance an '09 TE250 sitting in our shed. I found this machine to be very 'doughy' off the bottom. Sorry but this is the best description I can offer. I took the bike back once because of how bad I thought it to be (get it moving and I had no issue). It was hooked up to the computer and gave a reading of 85 on the screen. It was then reset to 91 by memory. All of this occured before I started to do my research on iBeat and other enhancements so I presume that the program was iBeat and the numbers related to say 91% on the feedback parameter. I didn't know enough at the time to ask sensible questions about all of this including the program. It would be very nice to be able to mess around with different settings, test, review, change etc so as to get it right. The corks in the exhaust and airbox have been removed so I know we aren't restricted there.

One thought that has come to mind is to get the bike on a dyno and perhaps buy a Power Commander which as I understand comes with software. The cost of this may be worth it in order to make a good bike an exceptional one. If it was a Jap bike I wouldn't think twice about buying a decent pipe so I could probably do this for the same money.

Cheers
  18. seymore Husqvarna
    AA Class

Normally one of neat features about the Power Commanders is you can share map between user. The problem with doing this on the TE is you may not know what the FB1 setting is and for the maps to behave the same on a different TE the FB1 setting would need to be set the same. When Ferracci makes maps he told me they set FB1 to 100% as Husky suggest for the PU kit. But if your bike has FB1 set at 91% the Ferracci maps won't perform as expected.

The other good reason to have access to the ECU is to reset zero on the TPS sensor. I have seen my drift over time.

Another device I would like to get developed is a O2 sensor simulator plug to eliminate the need to install the O2 senor to make FB1 adjustment. I haven't yet determined if having the O2 sensor installed is a requirement of iBeat or the ECU. If it's for iBeat, then the new software could eliminate the need for the sensor install.
  19. dags Husqvarna
    B Class

Last ride had a big get off over a log, cracked ribs & blew out my hip :doh:

TPS went to crap, because it`s a mechanical change on the spindle - it`s just a variable resistor based on a closed stop & open stop point.
    Because iBEAT allows a decrease/increase in the plots, it`s simple to do. But as we do in cars - a simple play with a multi meter you can get it :busted::busted::busted:
  20. bendbiker Husqvarna
    B Class

dags, Can you briefly describe what reading we should look for on the ohm scale. E.G. Zero ohms at closed trottle and then an obivious increase as you open the trottle. Or no resistance at WOT and then resistance increases to some relative amount as you approach closed trottle???

Seymore, Yes, interested in a "tool" to adjust air/fuel rations at various RPMS and TPS.

I currently hadthe PU kit installed but to rich with soot on the O2 and exhaust tip. Then reconnected the O2 and now too lean with popping on decel and hesitations at 0 to 30% trottle positions little to no acceleration. However, wracking the throttle or strong acceleration yields good response at any RPM.