All about Mikuni's ecu

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by Tony2k, Sep 18, 2009.

1. Tony2k Husqvarna
    B Class

Hi boys! I have a te 510, my first ie bike! I'm very happy of it but, like my cars, I want to tune the ecu.
    I have opened a not working Mikuni ecu from a Sm 610, this the result:
    [IMG]

I hoped to find the eeprom for desolder and read it, but the first bad news was that it's included in the processor (H8/3687) and as a result it's impossible to read with a simple eprom programmer!
    I know also that it use a ISO9141 interface for the communication bethween pc, it's the more common protocol used also for cars.
    [IMG]

A this moment I reached a deadlock.
    Probably next week I'll buy the cable found in this forum plus I-beat v2. Somebody know something about the reflash software?
    I hope that someone will find interesting my work and he will help me in this project for ecu tuning!
  2. MOTORHEAD Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    2014 YAMAHA YZ250
    Tony, I find your work very interesting, but you've gone out of my comfort zone. Wish I could help, but I'll be watching.
  3. bbcmat Husqvarna
    A Class

Very interesting stuff - especially the transmit protocol.

I also have IbeatV2 ordered. I'll help in whatever way I can. It would be nice to move around the ignition curve to take advantage of fuels / gearing etc - or flash in the TPS protocol from a Suzuki.

Magical stuff your doing!

MAT
  4. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    Is this a great site or what?! :applause:
    RossmcG and Motosportz like this.
  5. jlk_250 Husqvarna
    A Class

I commend you for trying to get into that ECU. After more time playing with my PCIII I realize how much we are subject to the whims of the ECU. For example, there is a gear position sensor. Is there one FI map for all gears or a different one for each gear? Or is the timing adjusted depending on which gear it's in? And mine runs differently when the engine is warm versus when hot. All my PCIII work went out the window when it got hot. No doubt the ECU is changing things as a result of an input. Would be nice to know what that input is and what it's doing.

This ECU stuff is too far out of my league to do anything more than offer my thanks for trying.
  6. Helipos Husqvarna
    AA Class

Sorry for the thread mining but it seemed appropriate.
    Tony are you certain on the protocol to talk from and to the ECU? I was just going to have a crack at building my own see if we can't save us some money.
    From testing I was doing at work today there is no indication it is not that one you mentioned. Once my bro gives me the pin outs from my bike I can confirm it.
    Do you have any good litriture on ISO9141 and the commands used, flow diagrams for command structure ect?

Cam
  7. Perri Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    Apologies for digging up an old thread, however I'd be really interested if anyone has worked out how the L9637D chip (responsible for the ISO 9141 protocal) connects to the output pins on the above mentioned ECU? I've found that out of the 5 pins on the diagnostic connector behind the headlight, 2 are for +12V and GND, and the remaining three interface with pins 7, 8, and 25 on the ECU. A continuity test between these ECU pins and the pins on the L9637D chip should hopefully reveal which pin is K-line, L-line and the mystery pin. Anyone have an 08'ish model 610 with an opened up ECU?
  8. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Yes this is an old (ancient) thread, but a good one.

I really wish I'd never sold my oscilloscope.
  9. Perri Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610
    So without knowing what the 3 mystery pins are I'm not sure how to work out the true interface to this ECU. If it turns out it's just using the ISO9141 protocal, then it would be quite easy to either make up an RS232 converter, or just adapt one of these newer gen OBD2-USB converters that already supports the ISO9141 protocal.

Diagnostic port Pins 1, 2, 3 are connected to 7, 25, 8 respectively on the ECU. Diag port pin 5 = gnd, pin 6 = +12V (Vbatt).

With bike switched on and red button enabled, I read no voltages to gnd on any of the 3 diagnostic pins. I did check resistance and capacitance to gnd. Pin 1 has about 1200pF (no resistance), Pin 2 has about 180pF (no resistance), and Pin 3 has both a resistance (47k) and capacitance (8800pF) so some sort of complex impedance.

One possible theory is that the three pins represent Vs, K-line, L-line. Based on the the L9637 datasheet, Pins 1 and 2 on the diag. port might connect to K and L lines, and Pin 3 might be Vs supplied by Vbatt considering Vs sees a couple of resistors in a voltage divider arrangement. The K-line on the L9637 see's both a FET and OPAMP, whilst the L-line only sees an OPAMP. So could it be deduced that the K-line might have a higher input capacitance than the L-line? In this case, diag. port Pin 1 is possibly the K-line and Pin 2 the L-line... All speculation really.

I really wish I had access to a spare ECU to de-pot and tinker with.
  10. Ben-TE Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310
    Sorry all for waking this thread up once more. but the discussion is really worth it. I happen to own such a car OBDII cable as well as different diagnose software for cars. So I hooked up the cable to a VAG diag tool and looked at the first handshake, and did the same with the iBeat 2.0 software. Honestly I must say they damn look the same so I would not be suprised (as mentioned before) that the protocol is a simple ISO 9141.
    To be honest I am not yet ready to try the 3 magic pins blind. I actually could but would rather get xtra info first. So is there any one out there with such an ECU on his bench to make a few xtra test first. Thanks for any answer.
    If there is any interest for it could post the traces of the communication from iBeat and VAG-COM.
  11. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Maybe it is something similar to how they build a KTM to ODBII interface cable, with maybe needing to find out what pin Husky use for ground (in the description in the link below, they note that KTM does it differently than Aprila)

Not sure why the "link" button is grayed out. Maybe I need to have enough posts before this gets enabled?

http://www.tomhamburg.net/TuneECU_En/KTM.html
  12. kospa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 (2012)
    Other Motorcycles:
    WRE125 (2008)
  13. turbo100 Husqvarna
    AA Class

This thread is not very fresh but anyway - is there anyone here that know the name of the commectors use bu the ECU's? I think there are two versions, one if pin guides and one without.
    Anyone?