Air/idle mixture screw maintenance

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by BSBen, Jul 26, 2017.

1. BSBen Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 Sherco 2.9
    Just a quick heads-up since I didn't see it addressed anywhere else.

I'll be doing periodic maintenance to my air screws from now on - removal, cleaning, replacement. It seems to be a pretty trivial thing and can save you lots of pain.

I found mine seized recently (never had that happen before with a brass screw in an aluminum thread). I don't know why/how it happened, but light tapping didn't loosen it, nor did repeated freezing/heating cycles, nor did penetrating oil. I finally tried to back it out with EZ-outs, and just wound up pulling chunks of brass out of the head of the screw with the threads remaining firmly in place. SO frustrating...

I finally had to go get a set of really small Dremel bits, dig as much of the brass out as I could while trying not to damage the threads too much, pick the remaining brass out with dental picks, and chase the threads with a M6x0.75 tap that I was lucky enough to find locally. It was hours of painstaking work with the specter of messing up the carb and paying $$$ for a new one lurking over my shoulder.

YMMV, but it may be good to keep this often-overlooked piece in mind at maintenance time.
    Huskynoobee likes this.