1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Air Filter oil -- Tacky stuff vs Old school motor oil

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Skoalman, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Skoalman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 & 83 HUS 430WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Maico, Penton, KTM, DKW, Rokon, BUL
    :confused::popcorn:
  2. 1983XC175 Husqvarna
    AA Class

stares at Skoalman.. Your too funny..:applause:
  3. Husq.fleet Husqvarna
    AA Class

I clean mine with gas I keep in a plastic bucket with a lid. When it gets dirty I then use it for weed killer. The oil in it keeps it from evaporating too fast! I have always oiled my filters with chain saw bar oil. Pabatco which was Hodaka's distributor, was also a farm chemical/oil jobber. Service manager/R-D guy Harry Taylor sent some name brand air filter oil in to the oil analysis lab and found out it was just chain saw bar oil. Do the plastic bag thing to keep hands clean and grease surface to air box. Worked for me since 78.
  4. HuskyT Moderator

I have been using NoToil for quite a while now. It has the same consistency as chain bar oil and is water soluble and bid degradeable....... I like the chain bar oil idea though.....

I use two tablespoons of NoToil Oil inside a zip lock bag and massage it into the filter..... Leaves just teh right amount of oil in and on the filter so that it still breathes.... plus it is easy to cleanup and the garage doesn't smell like kerosene or gas.....

T
  5. HuskyT Moderator

aaah ... Kerosene..... I remember spending many nights on the Gang Ranch up by Cache Creek in Cabins lit only with kerosene lanterns... also filling / diluting the hydraulic reservoirs on all of the heavy equipment so that the hydraulics would move at 35 to 40 below zero......pouring Methyl Hydrate into the diesel fuel to dispell any water or ice in it..... do I really miss BC winters up north? I had a five gallon can in my truck most of the winter....

T
  6. xymotic Husqvarna
    AA Class

Reminds me of a story.

I had a buddy who was pretty religious about cutting up the plastic six-pack rings from cans. "to protect sea birds" We lived in Reno so I thought this odd since I really didn't consider the gulls at the dump all that endangered.

Maybe an hour later he changed the oil in his bmw2002 by draining it into the hole under the car, moving the car & then dumping a buttload of gas on it and setting it on fire.

Mr. Environmentalist now likes to tell me global warming is a "hoax":thumbsup: But thankfully the seagulls survived:lol:
  7. HuskyDude Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    13/TR650
    Other Motorcycles:
    10/EC300, 76/TY175
    :notworthy::notworthy:
    I do forget sometimes you only lived a stones throw away.:D

Should go down to "0" Fahrenheit Sunday night that's -17 c for us Cunucks
    You can't miss it too much:lol::lol:
  8. rabskyline Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 te250r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yer maw !
    i use no toil, hate to touch the stuff as its so damn sticky but seems to work well... i only use what i need, dont marinate it, just enough and then a squish anf fold the filter so its all evenly coated..i use the bottom half of a 2L plastic coke bottle, pour in some oil and force the filter in and squish the oil through... good coat but not thick as hell ! no smoke , never !