Air box to carb boot joint and air filter options

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Jul 7, 2016.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi, my bike is running rich at the moment and instead of adjust the carb I figured I should change the air filter first as it is looking a bit worse for wear.

The trouble is that I don't know how to find one, all of the eBay listings are for 2006 onwards which has the different shaped air box.

The air box itself has such a terrible fit to the carb boot that I was wondering if it would be worth buying a cone filter and attaching that onto the carb instead?

A 2001 air filter is of this shape:

[IMG]

Edit: Just had a quick Google and it is possible to buy air filter material, but I would need to know what density wouldn't I?

Would this be okay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/3515...rlsatarget=pla-181484342946&adtype=pla&crdt=0

I won't be able to use the supporting brace though.

Or would a cone like I mentioned earlier be a better option?

Thanks.

Edit: Well I have found one for a TC (motocross) 610:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Husqvarna-TC-610-2000-Athena-Air-Filter-/400910273983?

And according to the parts fiche it is the same:

610 air filter.png

What's more is that they are actually cheaper via a Husqvarna dealer than eBay. That is assuming they haven't discontinued them though.
    Looks like I've answered my own question. Maybe I should follow this process before I post a thread, but posting a thread seems to help my thought process.

Edit: Scratch that, different part numbers on the website (huskymoto.co.uk).

610 regular: 8000 84308
    610 TC: 8M00 73458

£10 for the motocross one vs £36 for the 610 SM/TE!:eek:

According to the parts fiche they are the same shape though and fit the same airbox!

Can anyone shed any light?
  2. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    That's just a link to the twinair website, I even used my intitiative and clicked on distributors but none of them seem official. I just got a gmail address which looked like some guy's bedroom business. Gonna call my local official dealer and ask them if there is any difference in the two filters.
  4. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    So does anyone know about cone filter options etc?
  5. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

6. Hondarider21 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 husqvarna 610 sm
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda rc51
    If there's room a choice filter will work, but it'll take big jetting changes to get it to run correctly.
  7. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I don't want to spend money on different jets, all I want is a clean friggin' air filter. Is that too much to ask!?:p

Everywhere on eBay seems to stock for 2006 onwards with the different air both design for some reason.

So what should one normally do in this situation because these are unchartered waters for me.

Off road is my usual riding, supermoto wheels are only on occasionally so it is essential that the air filter is dirt and water proof. Edit: Looks like I might have found one! But it's in Europe:http://www.mx-power.eu/Twin-Air-air-filter-Husqvarna-Dual-610-E/S-98-04
  8. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
  9. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
  10. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You just need to buy the OEM one unfortunately. The others you are finding are different. I went thru this with my 2000 TE 610E. That is a very limited filter different than all of the others. Too bad you are not in the US as I may have one laying around that I do not need since I sold that bike years ago. The other filter fits the competition 610s previous to yours that is why you keep finding it. It also fits the later models but it does NOT fit yours.
  11. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Well I always have OEM to fall back on I guess. Although the one that I linked to in post #7 (http://www.mx-power.eu/Twin-Air-air-filter-Husqvarna-Dual-610-E/S-98-04) does look exactly like the OEM but the first pic is of the other types.

And then the subsequent pics look like the 610 one:
    157100_001.jpg

157100_004_ml.jpg

It lists it as being compatible with the "Husqvarna Dual E/S" 98-04 which I assume means dual sport electric start.

I figure I will go ahead and order that assuming listed correctly.
  12. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

13. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Yes that's the correct one, but I have already found it on that link I posted. Those are both from the US so the one I ordered will get to me faster but thanks anyway.
  14. rancher1 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That is the correct one, hoping you get the correct one.
  15. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I am pleased to confirm it was correct:
    DSCF0127.JPG

No idea I needed oil as well. D'oh!
  16. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    The forum was kinda playing up yesterday so I couldn't upload these pics but I copped a few more:

DSCF0128.JPG
    DSCF0138.JPG

I had a quick Google because I had never heard of oiling an air filter before and apparently gearbox oil is okay in substitute of filter oil which I had some laying around of.

Also, old filter compared to new, you could see why it needed replacement!

DSCF0130.JPG
  17. BiG DoM Husqvarna
    AA Class

If you are not au fait with foam filters then also note not to over oil - just work it through evenly without wringing filter. Should not drip! A good tip is to do this in a plastic bag with disposable gloves on. Also importantly grease the flange where it makes contact (the orange bit) - just an even thin smear to ensure good seal.